[comp.sys.atari.st] Commandline length?

joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) (12/18/89)

Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of
files is not processed correctly. I think the commandline is limited to
only 80 characters. It this a ST- or Gulam-limit?
And how can I solve it?

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23          		Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: tnosoes!joep@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands         	    or: uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!joep

t68@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (12/19/89)

In article <510@tnosoes.UUCP>, joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
> Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
> But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of

Its in the manual

Merry Christmas
Jos Vermaseren

roland@cochise (12/20/89)

joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:

>Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
>But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of
>files is not processed correctly. I think the commandline is limited to
>only 80 characters. It this a ST- or Gulam-limit?

Don't know about possible Gulam limits, but there IS a TOS-limit of
about 125 characters. There is an official work-around, but I wouldn't
expect any program to support it (yet).

>And how can I solve it?

Build a library! ( Even with unix, the cc has a limit of several hundred
o-files, and for greater programs you have to build libraries first )

             I know that You believe You understand what You think I said, but
             I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant.

Roland Rambau

  rra@cochise.pcs.com,   {unido|pyramid}!pcsbst!rra,   2:507/414.2.fidonet

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (12/21/89)

In article <510@tnosoes.UUCP> joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
>Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
>But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of
>files is not processed correctly. I think the commandline is limited to
>only 80 characters. It this a ST- or Gulam-limit?
>And how can I solve it?

It is clear that there is a limit, but it is bigger than 80 characters.
I did a simple experiment...   I created 10 small files with long names,
names of the form "abcdefgh.00x", where x ranged from 0 to 9.  Then,
from Gulam, I gave the command
	vi abcdefgh.00*
The result was that I could edit some of the files, but the last one
had a truncated name.

However, when I say "echo abcd*", all of the names appear.  I did
some more experiments, creating more files with names of the form
"abcdefgh.0yx" where y ranged from 0 to 2.  It seems that Gulam
can expand much longer strings.  For instance the commands
"echo abcd*" and "rm abcd*1? abcd*2?" worked correctly.

I interpret this to mean that whatever the internal limit for Gulam
may be, it is not the as short as the limit imposed by the interface
to the operating system.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (12/22/89)

> In article <510@tnosoes.UUCP> joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
> >Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
> >But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of
> >files is not processed correctly. I think the commandline is limited to
> >only 80 characters. It this a ST- or Gulam-limit?
> >And how can I solve it?

I don't know about on the ST, but I have a vague recollection that some
implementations will accept a '/' or a '+' to force continuation on the
next line.

-Don't flame me if I'm wrong, I'm just trying to help...

Have a good Christmas all,

Dave E.

n62@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Klamer Schutte) (01/04/90)

(Please note: i missed the original article -- please don't flame if
 i miss the point which the original author meant!)

In article <1176@pcsbst.UUCP> roland@cochise writes:
>joep@tnosoes.UUCP (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
>
>>Using Gulam and make, I want to link a program using TURBO-C.
>>But there are so much .O-files that must be linked, that my list of
>>files is not processed correctly. I think the commandline is limited to
>>only 80 characters. It this a ST- or Gulam-limit?
>
>Don't know about possible Gulam limits, but there IS a TOS-limit of
>about 125 characters. There is an official work-around, but I wouldn't
>expect any program to support it (yet).

the MWC compiler did work around this TOS 'bug'. This worked in with the
GP-Shell (part of the CRAFT package) and probably also with MSH and gulam.

The TurboC linker doesn't like these long command lines. Neither can it be
told how it understands these :-(.

What can be done is to give the TurboC linker a file describing what to link.
I have written a shell script (actually, a function, but these are not available
under gulam) which does translate a line like
link -o my_prog.ttp main.o aap.o noot.o mies.o -l tos -l flt -l wim
to a file like:
a:\lib\startup.o
-O=my_prog.ttp
main.o
aap.o
noot.o
mies.o
a:\lib\tctoslib.lib
a:\lib\tcfltlib.lib
a:\lib\tcwimlib.lib
a:\lib\tcstdlib.lib
where aap, noot, mies, wim are dutch equivalents for foo, bar etc.

Not having this script on-line i can't help directly; but everybody should
be able to construct such a shell script. (Or write a C program; but make this
C program accept a long commandline! (by using sobozon or MWC C.))

Klamer.
			( Currently unemployed )
Klamer Schutte        mcvax!nikhefh!{n62,Schutte}        {Schutte,n62}@nikhef.nl