[comp.sys.atari.st] STEs

qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph Haglund) (01/04/90)

As I quickly got "famous" for revealing secrets about ataris (nope, still
got no secrets from Atari, and no excuse from Alan Pratt) here's some new
ones:

In the STE there are four SIMM sockets. So what to be found there? Well:
Looking at the photos in ST World, Nov. '89 (an English magazine) all
four slots are full, on each card there are 8 Korean 100ns chips,
marked KM41C1000A3-10, thus one megabit chips.
I recently opened up one 1040STE and one 520STE, and found in the 1040STE:
4 cards, two 256 kx4 chips on each
In the 520STE
2 cards,  8 256kx1 chips on each.
This means the 520 must be easier to upgrade, right. And it is MUCH cheaper...
Then, as noone asked me to go on refereeing the German magazines I won't,
but I can comment that in one of the January issues they told about 6 patches
to do in the TOS 1.4 chips. This includes the software patches you put in the
AUTO folder. Also something about the MEGA clock chip, to read the boot device
nd a couple of things besides.
Oh yeah, they also told how you simply could use 1.44Mb drives etc.

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan3.183331.17370@lth.se> qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph
Haglund) writes:
>.... Also something about the MEGA clock chip, to read the boot device
>nd a couple of things besides.

Oh, maybe this explains why I sometimes have to reboot my Mega-4 two
or three times before it autoboots from the hard disk.  I have TOS 1.4
in ROM and am using a Supra 60M hard disk and Supra driver software.
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |