[comp.sys.atari.st] New Comp.sys.atari.st.xxxx

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/13/89)

The problem that we will have if we split comp.sys.atari up is the same
problem that has occurred in the music groups.
Last year a proposal was made to form rec.music.cd so that people who
wanted information about CD's could read and post there......well, can
you guess what has happened ?  Probably 95% of what is posted in
rec.music.cd is also still posted in rec.music.misc which is the newsgroup
that they were trying to get the CD stuff out of.

I really think that if you split comp.sys.atari.st you're just going to
end up with 2 or 3 more newsgroups that contain crosspostings of the same
information.

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

rdr@mdavcr.UUCP (Randolph Roesler) (12/15/89)

In article <30200034@inmet> hedger@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>The problem that we will have if we split comp.sys.atari up is the same
>problem that has occurred in the music groups.
>|                                                                   |
>| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
>|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

Hello Keith.  I don't know about the rec groups as we don't get those
guys/gails here. What I orginally proposed is that ComP.sys.atari.st
be split into one or two unmoderated groups, and that a moderated
group be started.

The purpose of the moderated group would be that controlled postings
of quality get posted there.  Maybe they get cross posted.  Maybe not.
In any case, these quality postings would be archived and available
via FTP and mail servers.

When I say quality, I don't mean professional.  I am referring to stuff
like "How to build A Hard Drive",  "How to attach Track Ball to ST",
"How to upgrade 512 to 2.5 Megs".  We all see these questions
posted to the net. We all see the answers constructed with great pain by
people in the know.  What we don't see is their wisdom saved anyplace.

Under my scheme, many of these questions would be answered via a
mail message to a server, or an FTP session.  Is this not better then
the current system ?

What I wonder is why my orginal posting has created so little responce,
three mail messages (two positive, one negative), and to follow-ups.
Don't people care ?
It's not the size of your signature that 	Randy Roesler
counts - it's how you use it!			MacDonald Dettwiler & Assc.
email ...!uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!rdr		BC Canada 604-278-3411

ralph (Ralph P. Sobek) (01/05/90)

In article <30200034@inmet> hedger@inmet.inmet.com writes:

|  I really think that if you split comp.sys.atari.st you're just going to
|  end up with 2 or 3 more newsgroups that contain crosspostings of the same
|  information.

I don't want to be a spoil-sport but the amiga folks have split up
comp.sys.amiga, and are proposing a third split at the moment.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Reliable software should kill people reliably! -Andy Mickel, Pascal News #13,78