[comp.sys.atari.st] USEnet on GEnie...a followup

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (12/29/89)

Here's an interesting sidenote:

I was on GEnie last night, attending the Atari ST RT discussions.
(Every Wednesday night at 10:00 pm EST). I brought up the
USEnet->GEnie transfer topic. Most people didn't know it
existed, and those that did were *glad* that it stopped.
It seems that the USEnet messages were saturating the Atari ST
section. (Too much info, too fast.) People found they
couldn't keep up, even for the few days (hours?) it was operating.

This makes sense. When I was administering a UUCP site a year
ago, we'd get about 5 MBytes/week of USEnet articles. comp.sys.atari.st
is one of the more voluminous sections...I wonder if GEnie took
that into account. :) Probably started filling up their disk space.

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/30/89)

The basenote describes the GEnie Wednesday night conference and the mention
of the USENET, err, discussion there.

	Rob, the comp.sys.atari uplink to GEnie has barely been mentioned in
the ST area. Remember, it's in a *completely* different area,the Gadgets RT,
which is like a whole nuther newsgroup. It certainly wasn't flooding the ST
area; it couldn't,it was in the Gadgets area. We kept it well under control
in the Gadgets Category 10 all by itself.

	GEnie has awesome disk space -- they just don't delete notes. There's
stuff on there going back for years.

	Anyway, I'm sure you had good motives, and just wanted to clear this
up lest someone unfamiliar with GEnie think we were wreaking havoc inthe
Atari ST RT ... nope, just one category, of 14 or so, in the Gadgets area.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (01/03/90)

In article <15253@well.UUCP> dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:

>The basenote describes the GEnie Wednesday night conference and the mention
>of the USENET, err, discussion there.
>
>	Rob, the comp.sys.atari uplink to GEnie has barely been mentioned in
>the ST area. Remember, it's in a *completely* different area,the Gadgets RT,
>which is like a whole nuther newsgroup. It certainly wasn't flooding the ST
>area; it couldn't,it was in the Gadgets area.

Actually, Dave...I did know that.

As I was pointing out in the original posting, I have never even
*seen* the USEnet uploads on GEnie. What I had mentioned was the
fears/complaints/suttlebutt-rumors/etc of people who were on the
Wednesday night GEnie conference - nothing more.

>	GEnie has awesome disk space -- they just don't delete notes. There's
>stuff on there going back for years.

Actually, I've been noticing that lately. (Stuff going clear back to
1987.) What is their total disk space allocation?

>	Anyway, I'm sure you had good motives, and just wanted to clear this
>up lest someone unfamiliar with GEnie think we were wreaking havoc inthe
>Atari ST RT ... nope, just one category, of 14 or so, in the Gadgets area.

My original intent was to relay feedback on the subject
from GEnie users to USEnet posters, so they could get some sort
of a feel for what was going on there.

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (01/05/90)

in article <23792@brunix.UUCP>, rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) says:

> Here's an interesting sidenote:
>
> I was on GEnie last night, attending the Atari ST RT discussions.
> (Every Wednesday night at 10:00 pm EST). I brought up the
> USEnet->GEnie transfer topic. Most people didn't know it
> existed, and those that did were *glad* that it stopped.
> It seems that the USEnet messages were saturating the Atari ST
> section. (Too much info, too fast.) People found they
> couldn't keep up, even for the few days (hours?) it was operating.

The USEnet UPLINK wasn't in the ST Roundtable. It was located in the
Gadgets by Small RT. Most of the ST users didn't even know about it.

-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corp, Systems Test

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (01/05/90)

In article <1925@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>in article <23792@brunix.UUCP>, rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) says:
|| Here's an interesting sidenote:
|| I was on GEnie last night, attending the Atari ST RT discussions.
|| (Every Wednesday night at 10:00 pm EST). I brought up the
|| USEnet-|GEnie transfer topic. Most people didn't know it
|| existed, and those that did were *glad* that it stopped.
|| It seems that the USEnet messages were saturating the Atari ST
|| section. (Too much info, too fast.) People found they
|| couldn't keep up, even for the few days (hours?) it was operating.
|
|The USEnet UPLINK wasn't in the ST Roundtable. It was located in the
|Gadgets by Small RT. Most of the ST users didn't even know about it.

|-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
|   Atari Corp, Systems Test

OK, now I'm starting to get irritated. This is the third or forth
response like this that my message generated.

Don't some of you *read* the messages you respond to? I clearly stated that
the topic was brought up in the ST RT *DISCUSSIONS* on Wednesday
night...I wasn't talking about where the UPLINK was located!

Secondly, I stated that *most people didn't know about it*.

Thirdly, and lastly, I only mentioned this here so that USEnet
people got some sort of a feel as to what the GEnie side of this
thought about the situation.

chad@norge.enet.dec.com (01/06/90)

>| USEnet-|GEnie transfer topic. Most people didn't know it
>|| existed, and those that did were *glad* that it stopped.
>|| It seems that the USEnet messages were saturating the Atari ST

         ^^^^^^^

        big implication.....

>|| section. (Too much info, too fast.) People found they
>|| couldn't keep up, even for the few days (hours?) it was operating.
>|
>|The USEnet UPLINK wasn't in the ST Roundtable. It was located in the
>|Gadgets by Small RT. Most of the ST users didn't even know about it.
>|
>|-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
>|   Atari Corp, Systems Test

>OK, now I'm starting to get irritated. This is the third or forth
>response like this that my message generated.

>Don't some of you *read* the messages you respond to? I clearly stated that
>the topic was brought up in the ST RT *DISCUSSIONS* on Wednesday
>night...I wasn't talking about where the UPLINK was located!

Rob,

Not to irritate you more, but don't *you* read your own replies??? You implied
in your original posting that it (the Uplink) was saturating the ST RT
when you said:

>|| It seems that the USEnet messages were saturating the Atari ST
>|| section. (Too much info, too fast.) People found they

You said Atari ST section which heavily implies the Atari ST RT

Chad
DEC has no opinions...
I've never even been on any pay service...

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (01/06/90)

In article <7253@shlump.nac.dec.com> chad@norge.enet.dec.com () writes:

>Rob,

What?

>Not to irritate you more,

then why bring it up? Because you want to have "the last word?"

> but don't *you* read your own replies??? You implied
>in your original posting that it (the Uplink) was saturating the ST RT

This is conviently taken out of context...

No, what I was reporting here was that people who brought the topic
up on the RT discussion (and there were not that many) said they were
afraid of saturation of the section the material was being posted to.
They were talking about it as though they had already made use of the uplink
information. If they had, or if they hadn't but just said they had
I have *no idea.*

Once again...my little one paragraph comment was intended to briefly
report on what I had heard on that discussion. I was at that discussion,
you, Chad, were not. It was an informational paragraph for the benifit
of USEnet users who did not have access to GEnie. I did *NOT* intend
this to be a harange on *me* as to the validity of what was or was not
said.

Enough?

>You said Atari ST section which heavily implies the Atari ST RT

Give me a break....play semantics on your own time. If you *knew* I was
referring to the Gadgets RT, then why bring any of this up? To show
that *you* knew the difference?