[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 and hard drive booting

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (01/07/90)

Bruce Nelson writes:

>I finally got through to Supra's Tech Support. They said there's a new
>"feature" in Tos 1.4 which causes the ctl-shift-alt not to work. But, there's
>a workaround - place the floppy in it's drive about half way. Then, using
>three hands :-}, hold the ctl-alt-shift while turning on the computer. Now,
>after the light comes on the drive, and before the hard drive boots, push
>the floppy the rest of the way in.
>Now, could someone at Atari tell me why it works, and why the old method
>(just the keys) doesn't?

    I could be wrong, and this is just my own experience, but I think (??)
that Supra is wrong.
    I have TOS 1.4 in a Mega2 that was upgraded to 4 meg of memory.  By
allowing the light on the floppy drive to flick on|off then pressing
the <CNL><ALT><LEFT-SHIFT> key, then I can boot off of my floppy.  Whether
the floppy has programs in /AUTO/ folder or not, the floppy will take
priority. No partial removal of floppy--nothing.
    This is with the ICD 4.x software, by the way.  Maybe Supra hasn't
upgraded yet or something.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (01/07/90)

Larry Rymal writes:
>    I could be wrong, but I think (??).... that Supra is wrong.
>    I have TOS 1.4 in a Mega2 that was upgraded to 4 meg of memory.  By
>allowing the light on the floppy drive to flick on|off then pressing
>the <CNL><ALT><LEFT-SHIFT> key, then I can boot off of my floppy.
>
>Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

Supra's procedure (which I won't repeat here) worked, but, as several
other netters also pointed out, your procedure is the correct one.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Bruce Nelson