[comp.sys.atari.st] SLM804 / HP LJIIp

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (01/02/90)

A local user is looking into moving up to a Mega or a multi-meg STE for
DTP work (currently, he is using Pagestream 1.8). He wants info about
Postscript capability for laser printing.

1. Is there a PostScript board for the HP LJ IIp? If not, is there a slot
   in this printer for a PS board?

2. Can UltraScript use PS fonts or is it limited to US fonts?

The user is aware of the much slower speed of the LJ IIp but does not have
high volume needs. The LJ IIp with .5 meg is $CDN 1495 and the SLM804
is almost $CDN 2000. With 4 megs of memory, it looks like the IIp would
cost as much as the SLM804 making it a better buy (except for speed).

Can anyone provide more info on this topic?

dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) (01/04/90)

From article <9001030805.AA24560@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog):

> 1. Is there a PostScript board for the HP LJ IIp? If not, is there a slot
>    in this printer for a PS board?

There is a "slot" for a postscript board in the IIp, but nothing is
available yet.  The rumors I hear say that it is to be available sometime
in the first half of 1990.

dgc

young@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Todd Young) (01/05/90)

>In article <1990Jan3.230651.561@mentor.com> dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) writes:
>>
>> 1. Is there a PostScript board for the HP LJ IIp? If not, is there a slot
>>    in this printer for a PS board?
>>
>There is a "slot" for a postscript board in the IIp, but nothing is
>available yet.  The rumors I hear say that it is to be available sometime
>in the first half of 1990.
>
>dgc

How about a postscript emulator for the HP LJ2 ?? Pacific Page 2.54 appears
to be a low cost alternative. Retail cost os $695.00. Ram requirements are
2.5 meg. This product is reviewed in the Jan. issue of Byte magazine.
This product simply plugs into the one of the printer cartridge slots,
and is selectable through the standard printer controls.

Pacific Data Products
6404 Nancy Ridge Road
San Diego Ca. 92121  (619) 552-0880

--
Todd Young                    young@stpaul.ncr.com
NCR Comten, St. Paul, MN

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) (01/08/90)

In article <1990Jan3.230651.561@mentor.com> dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) writes:
>From article <9001030805.AA24560@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog):
>>
>> 1. Is there a PostScript board for the HP LJ IIp? If not, is there a slot
>>    in this printer for a PS board?
>>
>There is a "slot" for a postscript board in the IIp, but nothing is
>available yet.  The rumors I hear say that it is to be available sometime
>in the first half of 1990.
>
>dgc

Actually, I have seen such a board advertised in a catalog by Global Computer
Supplies.  (Sorry, I don't have the address.)  Of course, that may not
actually mean that they have it.

Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.bitnet
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu