[comp.sys.atari.st] rainbow tos roms

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/21/89)

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:

| Another question: is TOS1.4 EVER going to be distributed in the
| form of 1MBit ROMS...
Yes.  The individual who is responsible for ordering the ROMs tells
me that they will be in stock Thanksgiving week.

| What about people with a motherboard that doesn't have room for 6
| ROMS?
Every ST/Mega motherboard manufactured by Atari has room for 6 ROMs.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/22/89)

In article <1811@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>
>| Another question: is TOS1.4 EVER going to be distributed in the
>| form of 1MBit ROMS...
>Yes.  The individual who is responsible for ordering the ROMs tells
>me that they will be in stock Thanksgiving week.
>
>| What about people with a motherboard that doesn't have room for 6
>| ROMS?
>Every ST/Mega motherboard manufactured by Atari has room for 6 ROMs.

great. so now they release the 2 rom set. since its in stock this week,
can you tell us with any great certainty if you will accept a trade from the
6 eprom set to the 2 rom set with no additional cost????? if we here at
electrohome don't have to butcher our motherboard to install 6 eproms,
all the better.

also, will the 6 eprom set be turned into a 6 ROM set in the very near future??
the 6 eproms make the atari feel like its a cheap clone of the real thing.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/28/89)

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

| can you tell us with any great certainty if you will accept a trade from the
| 6 eprom set to the 2 rom set with no additional cost?????
I can't tell you with any certainty, but I can certainly offer my opinion.
It is my opinion that Atari will NOT accept trades.  Why did you buy the
6 chip set in the first place if you don't feel you can use them?

| if we here at electrohome don't have to butcher our motherboard [...]
The modification to install 6 ROM chips in a machine currently using 2 ROMs
is in no way a butcher job.  It is a simple, clean modification, which was
part of the original design of the machines when they went from 6 chips to 2.
It does, however, require some electronics and soldering experience.

| the 6 eproms make the atari feel like its a cheap clone of the real thing.
I can't believe what I'm reading here.  EPROMs were made available due to
popular demand.  Very few sets of EPROMs were sold: around 150, I'm told.
As soon as OTP's were available, _they_ were sold instead, and likewise
with masked ROMs.

If the "cheap clone" statement was intended to be a joke, it's a bad
joke. In case you can't tell, this is an extremely sensitive issue with
me personally, because I personally worked very hard to make the
Rainbow TOS ROMs available to developers and to the general public.
I am truly appreciative of all the Emails of thanks that I've gotten.
I also truly take complaints very seriously.

--

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/29/89)

In article <1827@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>
>| can you tell us with any great certainty if you will accept a trade from the
>| 6 eprom set to the 2 rom set with no additional cost?????
>I can't tell you with any certainty, but I can certainly offer my opinion.
>It is my opinion that Atari will NOT accept trades.  Why did you buy the
>6 chip set in the first place if you don't feel you can use them?

because that's all that you were offering if you wanted the upgrade. sheesh.
don't worry, i'm not getting personal ... :-)

>| if we here at electrohome don't have to butcher our motherboard [...]
>The modification to install 6 ROM chips in a machine currently using 2 ROMs
>is in no way a butcher job.  It is a simple, clean modification, which was
>part of the original design of the machines when they went from 6 chips to 2.
>It does, however, require some electronics and soldering experience.

imho, a butcher job requires the cutting of pins and soldering in things
that weren't originally there. a simple, clean mod would mean simply changing
a jumper, or replacing a rom. anyways, enough semantics.

with a bit of work, we got the 6 sockets in, removed the 0 ohm resistors
that you guys were using as jumpers and put in real jumpers so that we
can switch back and forth between the original 2 rom set to the 6 eprom set.
makes it kind of nice this way. (why weren't real jumper pins used anyways??
cost reductions???)  (don't take this personally, i'm just curious!!)

>| the 6 eproms make the atari feel like its a cheap clone of the real thing.
>I can't believe what I'm reading here.  EPROMs were made available due to
>popular demand.  Very few sets of EPROMs were sold: around 150, I'm told.
>As soon as OTP's were available, _they_ were sold instead, and likewise
>with masked ROMs.
>
>If the "cheap clone" statement was intended to be a joke, it's a bad
>joke. In case you can't tell, this is an extremely sensitive issue with
>me personally, because I personally worked very hard to make the
>Rainbow TOS ROMs available to developers and to the general public.
>I am truly appreciative of all the Emails of thanks that I've gotten.
>I also truly take complaints very seriously.

sorry to offend you ken, but originally, all that was available was the
eprom set. now i hear that masked programmed roms are available, and you
say that you will not accept a trade: eproms for masked programmed roms.
to me, having eproms instead of the roms just doesn't make me feel like
i've got my full money's worth. anyways, that's my opinion, and i didn't
mean to offend you, as i said earlier. accept my apology ken.
(i've got tech questions that need answering)   :-)

anyways, in a posting i did a couple of weeks ago, i stated that when
our department at electrohome got our dev kit, everything was a mess inside
the box, whereas some developers in the states got binders and stuff. what
is the status on this. will ALL developers get this treatment??

and furthermore, with our tos 1.4 upgrade, the release notes, as i stated
in that posting as well, were shrunken down photocopies which are not
all that readable. little things like this make atari look like a joke. since
we did pay our developers fee, can we *please* get proper, readable notes
for the tos 1.4 upgrade. i would like to hear an answer on this. i feel
as a developer, i'm entitled to an answer.

and finally, thanx for tos 1.4. no more complaints! :-)

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!
       "I don't care if I don't win, 'cause I don't care if I fail"
             from 'Youth Of Today' by SUBURBAN DISTORTION

johna@van-bc.UUCP (John Altstadt) (12/31/89)

At last, a local dealer actually admits that the 1.4 roms exist, but
he wants to charge me $180 (CDN) for the set, installed.  They are
refusing to sell me the roms at a reasonable price so that I can
install them myself.  Heck, I installed the 1.0 roms myself, what
could be so difficult about the new ones that requires dealer
installation?  Are the pins bent into a corkscrew to avoid problems
with the CHEAP sockets and thus require some special insertion tool?

Can I buy them from somewhere else, ie. mail order, etc.?

John

--

johna@wimsey.bc.ca || ...!ubc-cs!van-bc!johna
                       || ...!uunet!van-bc!johna

econadm5@watserv1.waterloo.edu (BENTLEY BH - ECONOMICS) (01/08/90)

 Sure you can get Tos 1.4 Direct from Atari Canada for 100 Canadian. Thats
 better than 180. Call 1-416-479-1419.(Service Department) in Markham
 Ontario. I got mine via Mail and installed them myself! They even include
 instructions for two chip Mega Rom Versions. Anyways put it on Visa and
 order direct may be even cheaper in the west to go through Atari California

 Dave Tomesch , Super BBS Dual Dma , (519) 749-1206 24hrs

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) (01/08/90)

In article <528@watserv1.waterloo.edu> econadm5@watserv1.waterloo.edu (BENTLEY BH - ECONOMICS) writes:

> Sure you can get Tos 1.4 Direct from Atari Canada for 100 Canadian. Thats
> better than 180. Call 1-416-479-1419.(Service Department) in Markham
> Ontario. I got mine via Mail and installed them myself! They even include
> instructions for two chip Mega Rom Versions. Anyways put it on Visa and
> order direct may be even cheaper in the west to go through Atari California
>
> Dave Tomesch , Super BBS Dual Dma , (519) 749-1206 24hrs

I got my Tos 1.4 from Computer Connection in Gainesville , FL for
about 90 dollars.  The phone number is (904)332-5209.

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."