this, or does it have an FTP site?

From: cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth)

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Post No Bills-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/06/90)

In article <21615@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth) writes:
>I seem to have lost contact with
>archive-server@panarthea.ebay.sun.com.  Is there another address for
>this, or does it have an FTP site?

I noticed that the address has changed to archive-server@panarthea.sun.com
(no more .ebay.), although I haven't seen a posting to that effect.

I have a baffling problem with it -- I can get it to send help and
indices, but it never sends the binaries I request.  I've tried to keep
the size of the requests small.  Any ideas?

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (01/08/90)

In article <1990Jan5.174330.6751@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>I noticed that the address has changed to archive-server@panarthea.sun.com
>(no more .ebay.), although I haven't seen a posting to that effect.

Are you sure?  I just tried sending test messages from two different sites,
and panarthea.ebay.sun.com worked in both instances.  An alternate address
for the server is archive_serv1@ebay.sun.com (I didn't set that up -- the
local mail people just want to have addresses for everything on the mail
gateway machine.)

>I have a baffling problem with it -- I can get it to send help and
>indices, but it never sends the binaries I request.  I've tried to keep
>the size of the requests small.  Any ideas?

Are you sure your requests are in the proper form?  A very common mistake
is to say

send binaries/volume1/foobar

instead of

send binaries/volume1 foobar

The archive server chokes on the first form.  The form of requests is
"send directoryname file [file file file ...]."

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ebay.sun.com	...!sun!ebay!koreth

robert@infmx.UUCP (Robert Coleman) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan5.174330.6751@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:

>I have a baffling problem with it <panarthea archives> -- I can get it to
> send help and indices, but it never sends the binaries I request.  I've
>tried to keep the size of the requests small.  Any ideas?

	I have the same problem. I asked the manager about it, and they
seemed to think that I had a wrong address, but help and indices worked.
I never got bounced mail, but I never got my binaries, either. I also kept
the size of requests small...
	Anybody knows "the trick", I would be grateful to hear about it...

Robert C.
--
"Helen's the only one who knows what scruples are, and she won't tell us"
John said. "Have we got scruples about it, Helen?"