[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 and Supra driver

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (01/06/90)

I just had TOS 1.4 intalled in my 1040 and now the ctl-alt-shift which
keeps the hard drive from booting doesn't work. I have the Supra 3.00
driver software. Anyone else experienced the problem? Is it a TOS problem,
a driver program problem, or a hardware (keyboard) problem?

Bruce Nelson

keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) (01/06/90)

I experienced the same symptom with my Supra 20 drive and have since
discovered that it is a feature of TOS 1.4 that prevents one from
booting off the internal floppy while the Supra autoboot feature is
installed.  I just boot my ST first and then my hard drive and run the
Supboot program.

                             Keith Groves

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/07/90)

In article <4570@helios.ee.lbl.gov> keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) writes:
>I experienced the same symptom with my Supra 20 drive and have since
>discovered that it is a feature of TOS 1.4 that prevents one from
>booting off the internal floppy while the Supra autoboot feature is
>installed.  I just boot my ST first and then my hard drive and run the
>Supboot program.
>
>                             Keith Groves

Wait until the floppy drive light goes on, and THEN hit Ctrl-Alt-Shift.  This
will override the hard drive boot and boot off the floppy.

This was also the same with TOS 1.2.  It holds true for ICD software as well.

(wonder if my .sig file will work)

dclemans@mentor.com (Dave Clemans @ APD x1292) (01/09/90)

From article <2248@kodak.UUCP>, by nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson):
> I just had TOS 1.4 intalled in my 1040 and now the ctl-alt-shift which
> keeps the hard drive from booting doesn't work. I have the Supra 3.00
> driver software. Anyone else experienced the problem? Is it a TOS problem,
> a driver program problem, or a hardware (keyboard) problem?
>
> Bruce Nelson

Tos 1.4 is like 1.2 in that there is only a short window in which you
can use the ctl-alt-shift "command".  The best signal to look at is
the floppy; as soon as the floppy select light comes on, the keyboard
is set up and ctl-alt-shift can be used.

dgc

charlop@blake.acs.washington.edu (Aaron Charlop) (01/10/90)

In article <4570@helios.ee.lbl.gov> keithj@ux1.lbl.gov (Keith J Groves) writes:
>I experienced the same symptom with my Supra 20 drive and have since
>discovered that it is a feature of TOS 1.4 that prevents one from
>booting off the internal floppy while the Supra autoboot feature is
>installed.  I just boot my ST first and then my hard drive and run the
>Supboot program.
>
>                             Keith Groves

I have been able to boot off of the floppy drive using cntl-shift-alt
combination with Supra's autoboot program V2.62 and TOS 1.4. You have
to wait until the floppy drive light flashes before you press the key
combination. All goes well after that.

I do have another problem. I just installed DC Showit in my Auto folder,
and now I can't change to low resolution from the desktop. Is this a
feature of DC Showit or an incompatibility between it and TOS 1.4?

Thanx in advance

--
Aaron the Alchemist
Charlop@uwchem.chem.washington.edu