[comp.sys.atari.st] GIF viewers

dbrooks@osf.OSF.ORG (David Brooks) (06/08/89)

I've collected a few GIF format files, and I have SHOWGIF and GIFSPC
(both downloaded from CIS).  Questions:

1. SHOWGIF only works with 16-color pictures.  Is there a direct
showing program that works with a larger number of planes?  It would
need to combine the GIFSPC technology with a Spectrum viewer, I guess.

2. GIFSPC (despite its name) seems to produce uncompressed Spectrum
files.  Is there a version that produces compressed?

Mail; I'll summarize.
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

scott@tuna.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (06/08/89)

In article <1170@osf.OSF.ORG> dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>I've collected a few GIF format files, and I have SHOWGIF and GIFSPC
>(both downloaded from CIS).  Questions:
I've collected a lot...
approx 200+ (256) color gif pics.  ( 11 of which are of Kate Bush  :)  )

>1. SHOWGIF only works with 16-color pictures.  Is there a direct
>showing program that works with a larger number of planes?  It would
>need to combine the GIFSPC technology with a Spectrum viewer, I guess.

This is useless.

>2. GIFSPC (despite its name) seems to produce uncompressed Spectrum
>files.  Is there a version that produces compressed?

GIFSPC is great.... I wish it would go one step further, though, and
give you an option to convert to .pi1 with or without the dither option.

See, right now, I get .gif files-- I download them at 19200 bps,
I use gifspc to convert them to .spc, then I upload them at 19200 bps,
then I get a friend to download my uploaded .spc files at 2400 bps,
he then converts them from .spc to .pi1, then he uploads them at 2400 bps,
then I download them at 19200 bps.  .spc is pretty useless to me, except
for slide shows..... .pi1 is at least useful with my easel st.... and all
the editors on the ST.

MY WISH TO THE GODS OF THE ATARI ST:

I would like a program that calls itself something like ``GIFEDIT''...
this program would:

load most ST formats.... .pi1 .pi2 .pi3 .pc1 .pc2 .pc3 (etc)
LOAD GIF format
save most ST formats.... .pi1 .pi2 .pi3 .pc1 .pc2 .pc3 (etc)
SAVE GIF format

/* SHOUT ON */

MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT WITH THE ST GRAPHICS IS THAT I CAN GET ANYTHING I WANT
TO MY ST... EVEN THOUGH THE METHOD MIGHT BE RIDICULOUS (SEE ABOVE)...
BUT I CANT GET PICS FROM MY ST BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!

/* SHOUT off */

See, I wish I could use my ST to produce art and have it save it to a format
that is useful!

PLEASE, if anyone knows of ANY ST program that saves in GIF format....
please send me a letter!

you know... I just might have to sit down and learn C and do this myself.

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (06/11/89)

In article <9083@xanth.cs.odu.edu> scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
>MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT WITH THE ST GRAPHICS IS THAT I CAN GET ANYTHING I WANT
>TO MY ST... EVEN THOUGH THE METHOD MIGHT BE RIDICULOUS (SEE ABOVE)...
>BUT I CANT GET PICS FROM MY ST BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!

It's unfortunate that Electronic Arts did not try hard enough to make IFF
(Interchange File Format) be the dominant standard on the Atari ST.  If
they had, there would be no need to convert from one format to another.
Imagine, all programs that read picture files being able to read pictures
from ANY program that creates a picture file with the same resolution.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

scott@tuna.cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (06/12/89)

>In article <9083@xanth.cs.odu.edu> scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
>>MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT WITH THE ST GRAPHICS IS THAT I CAN GET ANYTHING I WANT
>>TO MY ST... EVEN THOUGH THE METHOD MIGHT BE RIDICULOUS (SEE ABOVE)...
>>BUT I CANT GET PICS FROM MY ST BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!

As a follow-up..

I have since learned that DEGAS-ELITE will SAVE in IFF format.
DIGISPEC.PRG will convert [ GIF <-> SPECTRUM ]
GIFSPC.PRG and IFFSPC.PRG will convert [ GIF <-> SPECTRUM ]
And that some program under the Spectrum package will convert [ SPC <-> .PI1 ]
[ BUT I DONT HAVE SPECTRUM ]
Anyway, I have Fuzzy Bitmaps for the sun... There is a program that is called
``fbext'' that will resize bitmaps [ fbext -w320 -h200 ].  There is another
program in this smae package ``fbquant'' that will quantisize colors
[ fbquant -c16  will convert and 8 plane picture to a 4 plane picture].  This
package will read/write SUN COLOR RASTER, GIF, IFF.

YES.

clr2gray < picture.gif | fbext -w320 -h200 | fbquant -c16 -I > picture.iff

and then I can use PICSWITCH7.PRG to read in the IFF file and convert it to
.PI1 .PI2 .PI3 or whatever.

I am happy now.  Altought I would like to get my hands on a program that
will convert over to my new format.... PBX  [ QUANTUM PAINT ANYONE? ]

   Scott D. Yelich                           scott@cs.odu.edu  [128.82.8.1]

news@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (USENET Master) (01/10/90)

Is there a decent gif viewer for the ST?  The only one I have seen
(for color pics) is called GIFSHOW (I forget the authors) but it is
incredibly slow.  Perhaps it is impossible to make it faster?

Chris
From: cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Christopher Roth)

*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no
*     InterNet  :  cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *   Conscience..."