[comp.sys.atari.st] too late for Lynx ...

thamer@yacht.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mustafa Thamer) (01/05/90)

   Now that Xmas is over and every kid around has a Nintendo GameBoy, I guess
Atari can go ahead and release the relatively unknown Lynx.  Couldn't
they speed it up a little and get it out the month before Xmas ?  I know
they're not braindead over there ...
  Someone, somewhere is going to tell me that they have one, right ?

-=-

	"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd  haul that tanker.
	 You wanna get out of here; you talk to me."   Max - The Road Warrior

kens@atari.UUCP (Kenneth Soohoo) (01/06/90)

In article <75298@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Mustafa Thamer <thamer@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>   Now that Xmas is over and every kid around has a Nintendo GameBoy, I guess
>Atari can go ahead and release the relatively unknown Lynx.  Couldn't
>they speed it up a little and get it out the month before Xmas ?  I know
>they're not braindead over there ...
>  Someone, somewhere is going to tell me that they have one, right ?

Actually, Lynx(s) have been shipping for quite some time now, well
before Christmas, to New York and Los Angeles.  You could have called
the Sears mail-order catalog and ordered one, if you don't live in
those areas... Also, I hear that two Bay Area stores got a shipment
apiece...

--
Ken Soohoo			{ames,imagen,portal}!atari!kens
Atari (U.S.) Engineering

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (01/07/90)

In article <75298@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Mustafa Thamer <thamer@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>   Now that Xmas is over and every kid around has a Nintendo GameBoy, I guess
>Atari can go ahead and release the relatively unknown Lynx.  Couldn't
>they speed it up a little and get it out the month before Xmas ?  I know
>they're not braindead over there ...
>  Someone, somewhere is going to tell me that they have one, right ?
Ok I will, it did come out in time for Xmas day, NYC got it and 60% of the noise
on Rec.games.video is about this GEM, supposedly LYNX's sold like hotcake
everywhere because of coverage and commerical(*WOW*) In the metro area everyone
should have seen Lynx commericals on TV, I know I have seen them more than once.I guess its good but Atari stock has been sliding for a while from it 52 week artifical high.

>-=-
>
>	"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd  haul that tanker.
>	 You wanna get out of here; you talk to me."   Max - The Road Warrior
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                         Great Flick!!

Ajay Choudhri
Atari Enthusiast, Registered Resident Vidiot
ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP
ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
ins_bac@jhunix.bitnet
..!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!ins_bac
.
.

hideki@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (YOSHIDA Hideki) (01/08/90)

In article <75298@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> thamer@yacht.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Mustafa Thamer) writes:

   >   Now that Xmas is over and every kid around has a Nintendo GameBoy, I guess
   >Atari can go ahead and release the relatively unknown Lynx.  Couldn't
   >they speed it up a little and get it out the month before Xmas ?  I know
   >they're not braindead over there ...
   >  Someone, somewhere is going to tell me that they have one, right ?

	I bought a Lynx in Tokyo last week.  Though it is made in
Japan, there are very few shops here that sell it --- all the children
here buy Nintendo GameBoy.  Besides, I have never seen an advertisement
of Lynx.
---
					Hideki Yoshida

					Department of Information Science
					Faculty of Science
					The University of Tokyo

					hideki@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp

pa1323@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Some call me...Tim) (01/10/90)

A friend and I each ordered Lynx's through the Sears catalog, and we
both got them.  About LA and New York distributing--the final word
was that they were only to distribute in New York.  A friend saw the
commercials there, and he tells me they were quite impressive.

Kitty World in San Jose also stocks the Lynx, though I hear they
have sold out several shipments of 50 Lynx's...

It wasn't quite Atari's fault that there weren't several million
Lynx's shipped--the manufacturer of the LCD color screen was the
bottleneck in production;  I believe they made as many Lynx's as
they could buy screens.

In any case, the Lynx side by side with the Gameboy so outshines it
that I think it will do well, regardless of the poor timing...

I hope, anyway...  The Lynx is a wonder of blitter and processor
technology that outshines ANY other home video game...it deserves to
live.  (I can't expand much on that--non-disclosures prevent me--
suffice it to say I was at the Lynx developer's conference way back
when and I know how it ticks...and it certainly ticks QUITE
well...)

Tim Mensch.

drp9500@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis) (01/10/90)

Atari's problem with the Lynx stemfrom Epyx going bottom up....

it kind of left Atari high and dry so only the part of Epyx that does
the acutal manufacturing is still around.  Still this delay it what
caused the Lynx to miss christmas nationwide.

  As for availability, at home I get stations out on NYC on cable and
have seen numerous adverts for the Lynx.  It IS there!  Almost all of
the larger toy stores in NYC have them.  70,000 units were shipped to LA
and NYC and Atari expects to ship in excess of 1,000,000 units in 1990.