[comp.sys.atari.st] Megas in clone cases...

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (01/04/90)

Hello all,

    If anyone has any experience on working with clone cases, contact
me.  Specifically, I'm moving a Mega 4 and a hard drive mechanism into
a baby AT case.  The only problem I'm encountering is really cosmetic
and that is where I need help.
    The problem comes in the ports.  I'm wondering if the expansion
slot blank covers can be purchased with DB25 and din holes.  Other than
the ports, the project is complete (duh, what's an ST without ports?).
Everything else looks "factory", turbo switch, reset switch, etc.  Just
the port area.  If I can't find any slot covers with holes, I'll have to
make my own somehow.  Again, the problem is purely cosmetic but I'd like
to make the case look "factory".  I could have the existing ST cables
run out and through the back but that wouldn't look good.
    If anyone can offer some advice please contact me.  THANKS!!!

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

fortinp@bcara13.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin 1573589) (01/11/90)

In article <900104.09355056.038329@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>     If anyone has any experience on working with clone cases, contact
> me.  Specifically, I'm moving a Mega 4 and a hard drive mechanism into
> a baby AT case.  The only problem I'm encountering is really cosmetic
> and that is where I need help.

Larry,
I was interested in doing the same thing; at one point I even turned the
backpanel "inside-out" but this didn't help much either.  Finally I decided
to go with more HDs.  In a regular clone case, using a couple of stacked
and smaller power supplies, I have managed to get two 5.25" HH HDs, one
FH 5.25" HD along with two Adaptec 4000 and an ICD host adapter, as well
as a FH 5.2" 80Trk floppy into this thing.  Oh yes, and a fan.  Believe it
or not, I still have room to add another 5.25" HH HD or a couple of 3.5" HDs.
None of this could be done with the original backpanel, so I just made a
custom one from a heavy sheet of aluminum.
Everything looks just fine with my Mega2 stacked on top.  Besides, unless
your system will regularly be viewed from the rear, why worry about the
backpanel not being identical to a clone?

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin

Wot a winter:  record cold over holidays (coldest in 100 years), and now
temperatures to melt the snow 3 months early...   :( and :)