[comp.sys.atari.st] Need Mouse Info

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (01/03/90)

My mouse is dying and I need to replace it fast.  Can anyone recommend one
of the 3rd party mice (I've seen a cordless, and another one by some company
whose name slips my mind) or should I stick with the Atari.  I have seen
Atari mice manufactured in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and I've heard they were
also made in Japan.  Is one better than the other?  I had a Tawainese one,
and it has acted up all along.  I think wires are crossing inside the main
cable.  The arrow moves in the opposite direction of what I want, sometimes.
I shake the cord a little, and it will work OK for a short time.  Can I
cheaply replace/build a new cable?

Any info on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.
=	Andrew Krieg				The Marvel Historian	=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
=  "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from store."		=
=  "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!" - The Grinch	=

cowie@b11.ingr.com (Ivan Cowie) (01/09/90)

In article <1782@mrsvr.UUCP>, krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
> My mouse is dying and I need to replace it fast.  Can anyone recommend one
> of the 3rd party mice (I've seen a cordless, and another one by some company
> whose name slips my mind) or should I stick with the Atari.  I have seen
> Atari mice manufactured in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and I've heard they were
> also made in Japan.  Is one better than the other?  I had a Tawainese one,
> and it has acted up all along.  I think wires are crossing inside the main
> cable.  The arrow moves in the opposite direction of what I want, sometimes.
> I shake the cord a little, and it will work OK for a short time.  Can I
> cheaply replace/build a new cable?
>
> Any info on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

	Andrew, I had the very same problem with my mouse. If you have a
soldering iron it is easy to fix. Just open up the mouse and find the
little infra-red transmitters and receivers on opposite sides of the wheel.
The problem with mine was that one of the receivers wasn't quite lined up
correctly with the transmitter (must'v gotten jarred) so I melted the solder
and just 'reseated' it on the board. Works fine now. Good luck!

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (01/10/90)

In article <7051@b11.ingr.com> cowie@b11.ingr.com (Ivan Cowie) writes:
>In article <1782@mrsvr.UUCP>, krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>> My mouse is dying and I need to replace it fast.  Can anyone recommend one
>> cable.  The arrow moves in the opposite direction of what I want, sometimes.
>> I shake the cord a little, and it will work OK for a short time.  Can I
>> cheaply replace/build a new cable?

This problem can occur if one of the wires inside the cable is broken.
(There seems to be a favorite place for them to break, about an inch
outside the mouse.)  You might be able to get a replacement cord from
someplace that repairs Atari.  (I thought about rebuilding mine, but
couldn't find either an appropriate strain-relief, or a source of the
fiddly little connector used to attach the cable to the board inside
the mouse.)

You can also get this effect (it follows) if your mouse socket in the
ST is lifting from the board and so breaking a connection (apparently
not too uncommon if you unplug the mouse a lot, to put a joystick into
that port) or if the mouse is not firmly, all-the-way, plugged into the
ST.  Check that first, it's easier; my mouse often wiggles loose.  If
you plug/unplug the mouse a lot, get a switchbox, or even just a
joystick extension cable (Tandy/Radio Shack) and do the swap at the end
of that.

If you go for a third party mouse, be careful about the ones with
switches that make a loud click.  They tend to have metal domes which
deform under pressure (like the little metal 'cricket clickers') and
will die from metal fatigue under heavy use.  Probably OK for 'serious'
use, where you don't click a LOT, but I've killed 2 such (different
makes) playing Populous.  (Anybody know a good, durable, light button
touch, 'GAMES' mouse?)  My dead ones where a Kempston mouse, and one
labeled 'Conniver' or something like that.  These might be UK-specific
brand names.  I'm tempted to try modifying the shell of the Kempston
mouse, which is very nice for 'serious' use, so I can install heavy-duty
microswitches.  Nothing to lose, after all...

--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee@bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)

bartho@obs.unige.ch (PAUL BARTHOLDI) (01/12/90)

In article <7051@b11.ingr.com>, cowie@b11.ingr.com (Ivan Cowie) writes:
> In article <1782@mrsvr.UUCP>, krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>> My mouse is dying and I need to replace it fast.  Can anyone recommend one
>> of the 3rd party mice (I've seen a cordless, and another one by some company
>> Any info on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 	Andrew, I had the very same problem with my mouse. If you have a
> soldering iron it is easy to fix. Just open up the mouse and find the
> little infra-red transmitters and receivers on opposite sides of the wheel.
> The problem with mine was that one of the receivers wasn't quite lined up
> correctly with the transmitter (must'v gotten jarred) so I melted the solder
> and just 'reseated' it on the board. Works fine now. Good luck!

We have 25 1040ST in house and had same problem.  Four mices went back to
dealers,  two have been replaced, two repaired, but the repair would not last
for more than a few days.  So we decided to do it ourself, essentialy as above,
but with the following trick :  the infra-red pair are mounted on a plastic
spring, and are supposed to be adjustable with the screw at the end, but as
long it is not soldered ...  also the hole on the printedboard are metalized
which makes (un)soldering more difficult.

So :  1.  unsolder completely the IR pair (4 wires) and pull it out of the
          printed board.  you may need special desoldering tools.

      2.  bind the 4 wires 90 degree horizontaly (carefuly !) near the diodes
          use thin wire.

      3.  solder in place 4 small wires to the board at one end, and to the
          diodes to the other end (far from the diodes)

      4.  adjust the position of the diode pair with the screw (now that it is
          free to move ...)

      5.  if you have an oscilloscope, check that the signal from the 2 diodes
          are more or less shifted 90 degrees.  At least, the cosine track
          must come up and then down before the sine one, as this is used
          by the logic to detect the direction of movement.

The mices we have repaired have been used now for quite some time and we never
had any trouble any more.

NB: do not try to adjust the screw with the diodes soldered in place, at most
you will destroy them !    Also take the usual precautions with integrated
circuit and static electricity ...

Here is more or less a cut through the board and diode pair.  I hope it will
help save many mices !

    > a <      |                                  |
    < d >      |                                  |
    > j <      |         (   diode pair  )        |
    < u >      |                                  |
    < t >                 I          I   <----- leads from the diodes (4)
    < s >     -+----------+          +----------+--      bended horizontaly !
    > c <      +------+                  +----- +        and soldered to wire
    < r >              \                /
    > e <               \              /   <---  short wire
    \_w_/                \            /
     -------------------+ | +------+ | +------------------------------
      ::::::::::::::::::+ | +::::::+ | +::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                          +----------+--------good soldering through the board

           God luck,    and    H a p p y    N e w    Y e a r   !

                                      Paul Bartholdi, Geneva Observatory