[comp.sys.atari.st] MIXED

so01@dmarum8.BITNET (Thomas Neser) (01/05/90)

Hello back in the nineties,
a few querstions for today:
1) Is is possible via soft- or hardware to kill the black frame of the
   atari sm124 monitor?
2) Is it posible to alter the waste paper basket of gem in the way that
   you can open it again like on the mac to unerase?
3) Can somone tell me where to find other computer newsgroups in the net
and a few ideas:
1) The mouse cable can be repaired with little money. Ask your dealer to
   measure what doesn't work and then built a new one for of course 5
   dollars
2) There is a german TEX running much faster than the pascal one cause
   it's in C. It's possible to run on a 1040er with only one drive, but
   for instalation you need two drives.
Think it's enough for today, so let's say bye bye. If you know something
of interest please email to so01@dmarum8.bitnet.
Thanks in advance
Thomas Neser

ripley@tubopal.UUCP (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (01/08/90)

In article <9001050802.AA10246@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> so01@dmarum8.BITNET (Thomas Neser) writes:
]2) Is it posible to alter the waste paper basket of gem in the way that
]   you can open it again like on the mac to unerase?
Yse it is. A friend of mine has written a little accessory which does
this in a certain way. The way he wrote it it uses some undocumented
addresses, though. He doesn't have his ST any more, but I can ask him, if
he still have the source. I also might have a copy of it, but it only runs
on german TOS 1.0 (6-Feb-86)...
As long as you don't turn it on and delete somtehing, it doesn't crash
your computer also, which is at least better than most programs which
make illegal things...

]2) There is a german TEX running much faster than the pascal one cause
]   it's in C. It's possible to run on a 1040er with only one drive, but
]   for instalation you need two drives.
Are you talking of S.Lindner's shareware-TeX ? It's really great (I have
it up and running), but TeX is surely a pain without hd !

Greetings,
				RIPLEY

--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)

In article <9001050802.AA10246@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> so01@dmarum8.BITNET (Thomas Neser) writes:
>Hello back in the nineties,
>a few querstions for today:
>1) Is is possible via soft- or hardware to kill the black frame of the
>   atari sm124 monitor?
By hardware you can open it up and tweak some potentiometers inside to
expand the video image.. By software, probably the nicer way to go, you
can get the OVERSCAN software and *use* that black frame for more pixels.
688x480 on a fresh-out-of-the-box SM124.

--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/12/90)

In article <10616@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>By hardware you can open it up and tweak some potentiometers inside to
>expand the video image.. By software, probably the nicer way to go, you
>can get the OVERSCAN software and *use* that black frame for more pixels.
>688x480 on a fresh-out-of-the-box SM124.

Two quick questions:

1) Where is this software?  I can do anonymous ftp, so a site name would be
   muchly appreciated.

2) Do ST programs such as PageStream recognize this?  Or, better yet (?),
   Spectre GCR?

(hope my .signature file works this time)

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (01/12/90)

Could someone say briefly what techniques the overscan software uses to do
overscanning?

In article <5929@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
>In article <10616@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>>By hardware you can open it up and tweak some potentiometers inside to
>>expand the video image.. By software, probably the nicer way to go, you
>>can get the OVERSCAN software and *use* that black frame for more pixels.
>>688x480 on a fresh-out-of-the-box SM124.
>>
>Two quick questions:
>
>1) Where is this software?  I can do anonymous ftp, so a site name would be
>   muchly appreciated.
>
>2) Do ST programs such as PageStream recognize this?  Or, better yet (?),
>   Spectre GCR?

Sorry, I misspoke... You need to do some hacking to your ST motherboard
as well, to use overscan. If you'd rather not do that, you're better off
just tweaking the monitor. (It looks like a simple enough mod, though;
cut one trace, add a couple wires and a [debounced!] toggle switch.)

The software is available on terminator.cc.umich.edu. I don't have PageStream,
dunno what it knows. I know that Uniterm doesn't like it very much. I wrote
to Simon Poole, asking if he'd put out a new release that supports non-standard
screen sizes. Got no reply, so I've disassembled it and fixed it myself.
It's pretty cool now, 60 lines by 137 columns of text.

How do you start up Spectre GCR? The Overscan program runs from the AUTO
folder and tweaks some Line-A and other system variables. If you can boot
TOS before you start up Spectre, you might have a chance. Otherwise I doubt
it, but don't really know. If you wanted to make sure, you might be very
enterprising and burn your own TOS ROMs with the Overscan mods applied...
  -- Howard
--

In article <32896@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) writes:
>Could someone say briefly what techniques the overscan software uses to do
>overscanning?

The hardware change is to cut the normal display enable signal (between
GLUE and Shifter) and replace it with the composite sync signal. This
allows you to actually display bits during the longer display enable cycle.
The overscan software changes the physbase and logbase, among other things,
to accomodate the larger display area. Unfortunately it's a little memory
hungry with an SM124. Since the signal the ST is spitting out is now at a
slightly greater bandwidth than the SM124 can accomodate, the effect is that
the "top left corner" of screen memory cannot be displayed properly. The
fix the overscan software uses is to add an offset between physbase and
logbase. This pushes the region of memory that the ST actually draws on
into a space that the SM124 can actually display.

This causes problems for a lot of programs that do page flipping for
screen drawing, animation, etc. They're typically set up to grab the
value of physbase, malloc a 32K chunk for their alternate buffer, and
toggle things in, swapping their original physbase and their new buffer
in for logbase as they please. This makes for a lot of screen garbage
when using overscan. [The original assumption, which is true on an
unmodifed ST, is that physbase == logbase. WIth overscan, logbase >= physbase
in order to position the screen appropriately. Thus, you can't swap them
around at will, you have to remember the original values, etc.]

I'm pretty sure the same sort of thing happens in color, but I haven't
played with it as much. Fixing Uniterm required searching for every hardwired
constant "24", "80", "132", "32000", etc., replacing them with appropriately
calculated variables, rewriting the code that manipulates the screen memory,
and finding weird little bugs caused by adding signed short integers to
long addresses. [That last is No Fun.]

I suspect that more programs will be incompatible than not. Another pitfall
is programs that use the Line-A screen width variable analogously with the
horizontal resolution variable. [On a plain ST, the screen width is 80 bytes,
in monochrome you get 640 pixels. No problem, 8 pixels per byte. With
overscan, you need 100 bytes per line, but you won't see 800 pixels on an
SM124. You could with a multisync monitor, but not otherwise. So, you need
to be careful, and some programs don't seem to take things into account
very well.] This all seems quite tedious, since programs are supposed to
let GEM worry about the nitty-gritty details of exact screen size. Some do,
and they work fine. Unix Windows is a slick example of one that does. Others
run into problems...

Gee, this turned out a lot longer than I'd planned. Anyway, I'm rambling now,
so I'll shut up.