[comp.sys.atari.st] Aegis Animator

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (01/09/90)

The author of a commercial animation package, Aegis Animator recently
obtained the rights to his program and re-distributed it in the public
domain ('cos he figured he would make just as much money!). The public
domain version is called Ani-ST. It'd be a nice thing to have, it used
to cost 80 quid (erk!).

Has anyone got it? And if they do how about sending me a copy or putting
it on terminator or some other archive, pleeeease...

Btw, I've been looking around the archives for a few months but have
never seen Toy Prolog. Toy Prolog is a much better implementation of
DEC-10 Prolog than Xprolog (at least better than the version of Xprolog
I've got). I've used TOY with much success (it's even got DCGs). It's kinda
slow but it's worth a look - any takers?

Happy New Year!

Mark Davidson.

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (01/10/90)

In article <1513@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
> The public
> domain version is called Ani-ST. It'd be a nice thing to have, it used
> to cost 80 quid (erk!).
>
> Has anyone got it? And if they do how about sending me a copy or putting
> it on terminator or some other archive, pleeeease...

 Sorry, but it is not PD but was released on a STart disk which is not
PD (but has this myth about being so).
 Contact them at (415) 957-0886 if you want to order that issue.  (Sorry,
couldn't find it off hand so I don't know which issue number that was).

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David Paschall-Zimbel) (01/11/90)

In article <24938@brunix.UUCP> mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
>> domain version is called Ani-ST. It'd be a nice thing to have, it used
> Sorry, but it is not PD but was released on a STart disk which is not
>PD (but has this myth about being so).

ACtually, Ani-ST is "shareware", and was released to GEnie, for one, before
it appeared on the STart disk.  I believe that Jim Kent wanted a "smile" as
payment ...

So, no, you do not have to buy the STart disk in order to obtain the Ani-ST
program, but you may certainly do so.

Public domain programs have appeared in STart before, and are generally
marked as such.  Programs such as ST Writer may be freely copied, since
STart magazine _cannot_ hold a copyright on the material.  This does not mean
that all programs on STart are PD, most of the are not.  But in the case of
Ani-ST and ST Writer, the programs are freely distributable ...

-- David Paschall-Zimbel

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (01/12/90)

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
| In article <1513@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
| > The public domain version is called Ani-ST.
|  Sorry, but it is not PD but was released on a STart disk...

Sorry, but it is PD.  Jim Kent first released it on BIX, as "shareware" -
the recommended donation is a smile ;).  STart picked it up and put it
on their disk, but they have no copyright on it.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

a1318@mindlink.UUCP (Kent Cavaghan) (01/12/90)

> mjv writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <24938@brunix.UUCP>
>
> Org.  : IRIS
> Person: Marshall Vale
>
> In article <1513@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
> > The public
> > domain version is called Ani-ST. It'd be a nice thing to have, it
>  Sorry, but it is not PD but was released on a STart disk which is not
> PD (but has this myth about being so).
>
> -- mjv@iris.brown.edu

     From STart ,Volume 4,Number 4,page 67 (Reprinted without permission):
              Ani ST is shareware and can be freely distributed -- the author
(Jim Kent) asks for nothing more than a smile.
          As of yet,I have not quite figured out how to reach the binaries
(soon      I hope :}) ) so if you wish SEND me E-mail and I will parcel it to
you
                 Kent_Cavaghan@mindlink.UUCP
            Beautiful British Columbia
            Canada

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (01/12/90)

In article <18126@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (David
Paschall-Zimbel) writes:
> ACtually, Ani-ST is "shareware", and was released to GEnie, for one,
before
> it appeared on the STart disk.  I believe that Jim Kent wanted a "smile"
as
> payment ...

 OOppss.  I didn't read the Ani-ST article at all so I guess I just
got caught with an assumption in my mouth. :-)  Sorry everyone.
Guess that's what I get for reading the Net first thing in the morning,
brain doesn't work.

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

roberth@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Robert Hall) (01/13/90)

Ani-ST is indeed downloadable from GEnie. (I did it last night).
And it's true, all Jim Kent asks for is a smile.

My question:  I didn't see any documentation on GEnie.
Does anyone know it they're there, or if there's another source
for docs?

Thanks in advance.

Anything I say here is my own fault, not Tektronix'.