[comp.sys.atari.st] STart programs are not PD

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/14/90)

In article <9001122241.AA24736@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EDGINGTC@Wabash.BITNET writes:
>I have that program from Start Magazine & if enough interest is
>here, I will post to binaries.

Material published in STart is not PD.  If you want it, buy STart -- it
is a real bargain.  Reposting to UseNet groups is not legit.

If you give away stuff that is as cheap as this, the only stuff we'll be
able to get for the ST will be pretty damned expensive!

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (01/14/90)

In article <1990Jan13.213343.11731@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>In article <9001122241.AA24736@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EDGINGTC@Wabash.BITNET writes:
>>I have that program from Start Magazine & if enough interest is
>>here, I will post to binaries.
>
>Material published in STart is not PD.  If you want it, buy STart -- it
>is a real bargain.  Reposting to UseNet groups is not legit.

This is NOT always the case.  Often software is published in STart
that is public domain or Shareware.  STart always states if a program
falls into one of those categories.  Aegis Animator does.

>If you give away stuff that is as cheap as this, the only stuff we'll be
>able to get for the ST will be pretty damned expensive!

Cheap??  Have you ever looked at the European ST magazines?  They are
far superior to STart, and a LOT cheaper.  I paid $8 for ST Format,
WITH disk and found it much more interesting and useful than the
$15 I paid for the Feb. issue of STart..  In fact, at one store I
visited in Cleveland, the owner was selling so many European magazines
over American mags that he stopped carrying all but Current Notes
(which is also good, IMHO).

Heck, for the price of two STarts w/disk, I could go out and BUY a
real program, not a collection of programs of which 1 might be useful
occassionally..

>Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.

 Albert Yarusso, Rochester     ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet,ajy2208@ultb.isc.rit.edu
 Computer Science  /___   /    {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
______________________/  /     ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu     GEnie:  A.Yarusso