[comp.sys.atari.st] formatting with 10 sectors under tos 1.4

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (01/10/90)

For some strange reason I format disks with twisted 10-sector per track
format and they work for a short time but then stop working.

Perhaps the programs I am using to format disks don't comply with the
tos 1.4 standard. Twister won't even run, and disks formatted with
Neodesk give me strange results. Is there a good formatting program
people would recommend for Tos 1.4 (is it DCFORMAT?)?

--
S. Alan Ezust                                   depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca
McGill University Department of Computer Science - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

econadm5@watserv1.waterloo.edu (BENTLEY BH - ECONOMICS) (01/10/90)

 One of the oldest but best programs for formatting is Hypercopy.
 It not only copies many programs fast but has excellent formatting
 qualities. Dcformat is also good. Acopy is also good. There are
 many others.

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/11/90)

In article <1940@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) writes:

>For some strange reason I format disks with twisted 10-sector per track
>format and they work for a short time but then stop working.

[stuff deleted]
>--
>S. Alan Ezust                                   depeche@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca
>McGill University Department of Computer Science - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I use 82 track/10 sectors-per-track disks with TOS 1.4 all the time, formatted
with DC Formatter 3.2 (I paid the shareware due; it should be identical for this
purpose to the latest PD version).  No problems.  Well, an occasional disk does
fail, but they do that.

Could be a whacky drive... (I know, something you really didn't want to hear)
Or you have some really bad disks.

scott@jpusa1.UUCP (Scott Van Court) (01/15/90)

--
I have Neodesk and use the 10 sector format all of the time.  I also have
TOS 1.4.  I would think you might have some other problems

scott