[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.6 and the 68030

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (01/11/90)

I have heard rumors (God I hate rumors) that TOS 1.6 would allow the STe to
work with an 68030 processor (and perhaps an 1040ST or Mega if outfited with
1.6).  I would like to know if any of the Atari reps here on the net could
comment on this.  I have a friend who works for a company who makes 68030
boards for 'other' computers who could have an '030 board out for the ST way
before another well publisized project (Hi Dave :-) ).  If this is not true, I
will have to convince them that they want to write the software to make it
compatable (how would you like to have you ST running at 40mhz?).

.>Brad Martin<.
  Atari Jihad

"The above opinions are mine and mine alone...  I think."

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (01/12/90)

In article <1149@crash.cts.com> bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) writes:

>I have heard rumors (God I hate rumors) that TOS 1.6 would allow the STe to
>work with an 68030 processor (and perhaps an 1040ST or Mega if outfited with
>1.6).  I would like to know if any of the Atari reps here on the net could
>comment on this.  I have a friend who works for a company who makes 68030
>boards for 'other' computers who could have an '030 board out for the ST way
>before another well publisized project (Hi Dave :-) ).  If this is not true, I
>will have to convince them that they want to write the software to make it
>compatable

Well, I too work for a company that makes 68030 boards, though not likely to
ever produce ST boards.  :-)  Now I don't know how TOS is written but I can
tell you what the difference in the processors are.

All user-mode instructions, as opposed to supervisor-mode, are fully upwardly
compatible from the 68000 up to the 68040. Except for the MOVE <ea>,SR
instruction of the 68000 which is now executable only in supervisor mode on
68010+ processors.

This however can be easely fixed through software. Executing this instruction
in user mode on 68010+ processors will cause a priviledge violation exception,
and an exception software handler can substitue the right code there.

Another difference between the 68000 and 68010+ processors is the exception
stack frame created during an exception, such as interrupts. The differences
are small and well documented, but they have to be taken into account anyway.
If Atari provides source code to its OS, then fixing this should be no problem,
particularly on 68030+'s. You see, the 68030 has a built-in MMU, thus allowing
you to load a fake image of ROM in RAM and then translating all memory accesses
to the ROM area to the RAM area.

If source code to the OS is not provided, you're screwed, unless the OS already
takes account of the different exception stack frames created on the different
processors. You can probably disassemble the exception processing code yourself,
since the exception processing routines have their pointers starting at
location 8.

Of course, software which depends on busy-waiting timing loops will be
completely out of wack. So even if you get your act together, that does not
mean that third party software out there does too.

(how would you like to have you ST running at 40mhz?).

Don't hold your breath. Even if you get a processor running at 40MHz, the rest
of the hardware will not. You would have to provide your own 32-bit memory board
to go along the 68030, and it will not be accessible to the blitter or any other
device at high speeds.

By the way, if your friend's company would like to make a board for this 'other'
computer I work on, you know who to have him contact.  :-)

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (01/12/90)

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) writes:

| I have a friend who works for a company who makes 68030
| boards for 'other' computers who could have an '030 board out for the ST way
| before another well publisized project (Hi Dave :-) ).

68030 expansions that work on other computers may or may not work on the
ST - Jim Allen and Dave Small know this all too well.  The ST has some
unique hardware glue problems that make it tough to step into the 68000's
shoes (or pads, as it were).

Don't you think that if the STE were completely 68030 compatible, and
Atari could support it, that Atari would be crowing about that fact?
What third parties can do with the machines shipped by Atari, and what
_Atari_ can support on its machines are two vastly different categories
of things.  It is obviously doable, or Dave & Jim wouldn't have
considered doing it.  If any other hardware developers believe it's a
worthwhile project, they are welcome to contact Atari developer
support, and Atari will give them as much help as possible.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (01/13/90)

/* acf5:comp.sys.atari.st / kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) /  7:21 pm  Jan 11, 1990 */
>W hat third parties can do with the machines shipped by Atari, and what
> _Atari_ can support on its machines are two vastly different categories
o> f things.

Thank God!! :-)

Thanasis

etelree@dutrun.UUCP (C. van Reeuwijk) (01/14/90)

In article <1952@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>Don't you think that if the STE were completely 68030 compatible, and
>Atari could support it, that Atari would be crowing about that fact?
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)

And 68010 compatibility of TOS 1.6? I know, it is not such an improvement
as a '30, but one might get a faster ST, and it may work.
Any comments from Atari on this?

An while I'm at the subject: could Atari release details about the
programming of the STE? I would love to get one if I could use its
extended possibilities. Sorry, I can't afford to become I registered
developer for this. I am just hacking on the Atari as a hobby, and
the required $100 or $200 is just too big a dent in my budget for that.

In my opinion there are a *lot* of ST users who would like to get the
real info on the ST instead of the unreliable books that are sold
today. Thus, I strongly disagree with Ken (was it Ken?) who thinks that
there would be no market for this. After all, since there has been
little advertising of the ST, ST owners tend to be people who know the
field, and know that a bad ST is better than a good mess-dos machine.
(This is not a flame to Ken, just a difference of opinion.)

C. van Reeuwijk           | e-mail: reeuwijk@duteelb.UUCP
Delft Univ. of Technology | Phone: +15-781429
Dep. of Electronic Eng.   |-------------------------------
Mekelweg 4                | If they are beginning to
2628 CD  Delft            | understand you, you can always
The Netherlands           | introduce another meta-level

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (01/15/90)

Hello all,

In Info-Atari16 Digest #39, crash!pro-grouch.cts.com!bradm@nosc.mil
(Brad Martin) says:

>                 I have a friend who works for a company who makes 68030
>boards for 'other' computers who could have an '030 board out for the ST way
>before another well publisized project (Hi Dave :-) ).  ...                  I
>will have to convince them that they want to write the software to make it
>compatable (how would you like to have you ST running at 40mhz?).

I have such software.  The only problem is that Atari would have to OK the
distribution of it, which is probably not going to happen.  If you can get
an Atari OK, however, please contact me via email and we'll work something out.

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away some day ...)  Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (alternative)                Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU