[comp.sys.atari.st] Drive question

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (01/15/90)

I have had this weird quirk in my ST system ever since I got it (3 years ago)
and I am wondering if it is normal.  I have a 520 ST, a single sided disk and
a double sided disk.  The double sided disk is drive A and the single sided
disk is drive B.  Whenever I access drive A, drive B spins also.  Should this
be?  Is this harmful?  The drive light on B does not come on, but if I have a
disk in there, I can hear it spinning.  If I access drive B, drive A does not
spin.  Anyone know what is going on?

=	Andrew Krieg				The Marvel Historian	=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
= 		"Holy one track Batcomputer mind!" - Robin		=

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (01/15/90)

In article <1871@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.UUCP (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>I have had this weird quirk in my ST system ever since I got it (3 years ago)
>and I am wondering if it is normal.  I have a 520 ST, a single sided disk and

It is.

>a double sided disk.  The double sided disk is drive A and the single sided
>disk is drive B.  Whenever I access drive A, drive B spins also.  Should this
>be?  Is this harmful?  The drive light on B does not come on, but if I have a
>disk in there, I can hear it spinning.  If I access drive B, drive A does not
>spin.  Anyone know what is going on?
>
>=	Andrew Krieg				The Marvel Historian	=
Nothing to worry about; that's what they all do.

Why, I don't know.

Mike

In article <5948@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
>In article <1871@mrsvr.UUCP> krieg@jupiter.UUCP (Andrew Krieg) writes:
>>I have had this weird quirk in my ST system ever since I got it (3 years ago)
>>and I am wondering if it is normal.  I have a 520 ST, a single sided disk and
>
>It is.

More elaborately... There's only one set of data and control lines that
go to both disk drives. A particular drive is chosen by the proper number
(0 or 1) appearing on the drive select lines. (The controller is capable
of addressing 4 floppies, but there are only enough lines on the ST
interface to address 2. Oh well.) In any case, the Motor On command gets
fed to both drives, so both will start spinning. However, since only one
drive's "select" signal will ever be active at a time, the other drive
sits there, the light doesn't come on, it doesn't respond to other
commands, etc...
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!