[comp.sys.atari.st] overscan - multisync monitors

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (01/16/90)

From article <10636@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, by hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu):
> In article <32896@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) writes:
>>Could someone say briefly what techniques the overscan software uses to do
>>overscanning?

Thanks for the (deleted) explanation.

More text deleted so the #@&$*#$!@! "mailer" will accept this...

> -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1] >
and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

This post brings up some questions that I've been wondering about for a while.

	1) Is the "overscan mod" the one I have the hardware docs for
	   (it was reposted in Nov or Dec '89) that also needs a small
	   transistor installed, along with a debounced switch, some wire
	   and some trace cutting?  If not, how many such mods are
	   there and  how do they rank?   I know that overscan can be
	   done in software (I've seen the Care Bears demo - impressive),
	   does that only work well if the program running knows about it?

	2) Would things be simpler and/or even higher resolution with
	   a multisync monitor? (I guess I'm asking what the hardware
	   limits are, for the ST and for the monitors to track the video).

	3) Could a "transparent" interface be written, (see posting by
	   David Beckenmeyer on multiple 80x25 windows on Moniterm while
	   running vsh) that could automate high res to overscan
	   switching?  I envision a program that can't take overscan
	   being automatically run in a "Std" resolution window,
	   centered on the screen, and good programs being able to
	   immediately take over the whole screen when they run.

	4) There are several adaptors and lots of multisync monitors
	   about, how well do they work?  How weird is color on a greyscale
	   monitor?  How is High res (or overscan) on various color
	   monitors - for that matter, how is it on a greyscale
	   monitor?  If dot pitch (on color monitors) is the only criteria
	   for "mono" res sharpness, what dot pitch is acceptable?
	  Email me your experiences or responses, and I will post a
	  summary to the net.

	5) People with overscan and/or Moniterm or other large monitors,
	   send me (or post) lists of programs which work and of the ones
	   that break with the extra pixels. I'll post a summary of
	   that too, if there is enough response.

	6) Atari folk: will the TT color monitor be significantly
	   incompatible with third party multisyncs? (I recall it took
	   quite a while before third party monitors showed up for the ST).
	   For that matter, will my old monitor(s) work with a TT?
	  (That would also answer the above question, I think).

Thanks in advance, sorry this got so big.

Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm.edu)

 WARNING, I am not certain that above address is correct, since they've
been monkeying with our local net here and retired Uvm-gen. See your
header for a better address.

econadm5@watserv1.waterloo.edu (BENTLEY BH - ECONOMICS) (01/16/90)

>	2) Would things be simpler and/or even higher resolution with
>	   a multisync monitor? (I guess I'm asking what the hardware
>	   limits are, for the ST and for the monitors to track the video).
>
>	4) There are several adaptors and lots of multisync monitors
>	   about, how well do they work?  How weird is color on a greyscale
>	   monitor?  How is High res (or overscan) on various color
>	   monitors - for that matter, how is it on a greyscale
>	   monitor?  If dot pitch (on color monitors) is the only criteria
>	   for "mono" res sharpness, what dot pitch is acceptable?
>	  Email me your experiences or responses, and I will post a
>	  summary to the net.
>
>	6) Atari folk: will the TT color monitor be significantly
>	   incompatible with third party multisyncs? (I recall it took

 Well, I have the Electrohome ECM 1310U Series Multi-Sync monitor and its
 great, works in all three resolutions, Low, Medium and High. It has VGA
 qualities so when the TT comes out I dont see any problems hooking it up. It
 has underscan built in the back and if I tie down line 4 in the RGB Cable
 I have instant Monochrome mode. In monochrome mode it looks great. Multi-Sync
 monitors are the wave of the future as I and many programmers have and will
 be writting programs and differenct Hrz rates. Eg(85 or 45).

 The picture definitely is better, this particular monitors resolution is
 720 by 540 lines. It has antiglare .31 mm dotpitch with many other
 built in fancy features. I run all european programs without any
 problems. As for the price phone electrohome its only drawback is
 that it has no speaker but with the STE that isnt a problem. I hook
 mine up through the audio line to my ghettoblaster.

 Dave Tomesch, Super BBS (519) 749-1206, Kwest Co-Chairman, StarTrak Inc.
 "Never say Never"

 Anyone wishing more info on the Special RGB cable hookup just send me Mail.
 I made one for the Kwest Usergroups Electrohomes Projection TV System used
 at the University of Waterloo , Math and Computer building.

Before you junk your Atari monitors, here's a final note on Overscan...
On my SC1224 (standard Atari RGB monitor) I get 720x280 pixels in medium
resolution. I like this A Lot. I don't know how much more you could
kick out with a multisync/multiscan monitor, but it better be a heap
more than that to convince me to shell out the $$$ for it.

On a side note... There's already a monochrome-detect line in the ST
monitor cable, and a "general purpose output" signal from the PSG.
Why not use that to trigger rez-change in your multisyncs? Then you
don't even need an external pushbutton; you could do it in a desk
accessory... (Control panel, change the GEM desktop, so it lets you
change rez right there, what-have-you.)