[comp.sys.atari.st] ST then and now

cciolori@telesci.UUCP (Christopher Ciolorito) (01/16/90)

It has been a long time since I have worked seriously with my
ST. I got mine back in like '85 and I actually had to boot
TOS from disk! (Now that's an old ST)

   When I went to college, it was mandatory to buy a Macintosh
(I attend Drexel U. in Philadelphia). This is one of the reasons
I haven't used my ST in a while. Actually having used the Mac
extensively for about 2 or 3 years, I have to admit that I still
have a yearning for the ST. The ST is just a great machine! And for
the price, you can't beat it. There were many things about the
Mac I liked(like a ton of FREE software put out by Drexel),but
I would much rather use the ST. It just beats the Mac hands down
in just about everything but market distribution. I am still annoyed
at the fact that there is no authorized dealer in my area.(I reside
in Atlantic City, NJ) It has been 4 or 5 YEARS since I bought my ST
and still no dealer! But there is something about that ST that
I love. (Besides I buy everything mail order anyway...cheaper!)

This brings me to the point of this posting. When I bought my
ST way back a million years ago, everybody told me I was crazy
because Atari would be out of business in like maybe a year.
And they are still saying it! Give me a break...5 years have past
and my ST is still humming along mighty fine. And Atari is still
in business.
I love the way these people give these stock quotes and use them
as a basis for saying Atari is going out of business. That's
EXACTLY the same thing they were doing 5 years ago, too. The way the
stock market is today, it is no indication.

SO please shut up! ST users are sick of hearing this! If you have
some useful stock info...fine, but don't come off saying that
because Atari has a quarterly loss they are doomed. Back in 1985
there were many people and analysts(analysts aren't people) who
predicted Atari and the Tramiels would NEVER pull it off...but
they did, and are still going. And I wish them the best of luck in
the future. Thank you Atari..for listening! I paid only $700.00
for my 520 when I got it...as compared to $1800.00 for my Mac SE.
The ST is as good or better than the SE, and this comes from
someone who has used both machines a lot.(And who likes his Mac)

Anyway, since I have been out of things on the ST for a while, could
someone give me some info on some descent software.
I am looking for a couple of good programming languages..C and
COBOL...some word processor stuff...games..data base..etc..

				   Chris

MALCOLM@tower-vax.city-poly.ac.UK (01/18/90)

Christopher Ciolorito writes:

> I am looking for a couple of good programming languages..C and
> COBOL...

Isn't this an oxymoron?  Well, 0.5...

--
JANET:		malcolm@uk.ac.clp