[comp.sys.atari.st] TT availablity

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (01/16/90)

Well, ok...its time for *this* discussion again.

Does anyone have a semi-firm date on the US release of the TT? It
received a write up in STart, complete with a couple BIOS calls
and a photo, so I presume they got their hands on one somewhere.

I called my local Atari dealer in Warwick, RI and asked if he
heard anything: one guy laughed and said (sarcastically) "probably
just in time for Christmas, 1990." Unfortunately, knowing Atari's
past record, there was nothing I could say to him. He also
alluded to notion that an East Coast release would come long
after a West Coast and Mid-West release. Does that make *any* sense
to anyone?

Anyhow, I put my name on their (growing) waiting list, so I'll
get called when they finally arrive.

How about it Atari? Any ideas as to a date?

Also, one other question: how long after the US release will UNIX and
X Windows be available for the TT?

Thanks for any and all info...

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/17/90)

In article <25628@brunix.UUCP> rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) writes:
>Well, ok...its time for *this* discussion again.
>
>Does anyone have a semi-firm date on the US release of the TT? It
>
> - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu

On December 27th, I posted an article about the "show and deliver"
policy of Atari's:  New products will be shipped within 90 days of
an announcement.  At least, this is what i understand Atari's "new"
policy to be.  I gather the Dusseldorf "show" of August 25th 1989 was
NOT an announcement, as there are zero TT's being shipped to dealers
in Europe.  I did get personal mail from an inside Atari engineer
saying that the Dusseldorf "announcement" stated a 1st quarter '90
release.  We've still got 8 weeks or so before the end of the quarter.
However, the very same engineer made it perfectly clear that the TT was
still being designed.  Furthermore, if one calls Atari Developer's
support, one discovers that the TT developer's kit is unavailable.
This all leads to very interesting and disappointing conclusions.

A friend of mine is visitng for a week to finish up a development
project we are working on together.  He brought his Mac SE/30.
Very nice..  hmmm... and seeing how cheap these things are getting..
hmm..

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (01/18/90)

In article <5343@blake.acs.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>On December 27th, I posted an article about the "show and deliver"
>policy of Atari's:  New products will be shipped within 90 days of
>an announcement.  At least, this is what i understand Atari's "new"
>policy to be.  I gather the Dusseldorf "show" of August 25th 1989 was
>NOT an announcement, as there are zero TT's being shipped to dealers
>in Europe.  I did get personal mail from an inside Atari engineer
>saying that the Dusseldorf "announcement" stated a 1st quarter '90
>release.  We've still got 8 weeks or so before the end of the quarter.
>However, the very same engineer made it perfectly clear that the TT was
>still being designed.  Furthermore, if one calls Atari Developer's
>support, one discovers that the TT developer's kit is unavailable.
>This all leads to very interesting and disappointing conclusions.

At this point, I think Atari's policy should be to not say ANYTHING
until a product is actually shipping.  _Shipping_, not on the boat from
Singapore, not in final FCC clearance, not in Beta sites, not prototyped,
not in design; but really and actually going out the door to end-users or
dealers or whomever.  "This is our official announcement of model XYZZY.
You want one?  Call this number, give us a VISA #, and it'll be UPS'd
to you the next day."  No, I don't think all (or even most) companies
do or should do this.  But Atari has a lot of skeptics, including me.
Maybe this would silence a lot of them.

Personally, I still don't expect to see a TT here, on the East Coast,
until mid-summer at earliest.  I hope Atari proves me wrong, of course,
and ships the dang things next week, and they wow everyone & cause peace
and prosperity & cost $500. :>

>A friend of mine is visitng for a week to finish up a development
>project we are working on together.  He brought his Mac SE/30.
>Very nice..  hmmm... and seeing how cheap these things are getting..
>hmm..

I wish Apple and Atari (or someone, aka "Dave Small" perhaps :-) would
get together to make low-cost, lower-end Macs.  Let Apple chase the fast
'030 and '040 designs, and let someone else make a Mac of reasonable
performance that I can afford; say, an SE/20 for under $1500.  (Oh
please don't tell me about the Spectre GCR; I already know about it.)
Just a wish.
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

stevem@katmandu.Solbourne.COM (Stephen Matson) (01/18/90)

    Well,
       I called Atari in Nov. and they said Jan 1st I could order a TT.
       I called Jan 2nd and they said March 1st. I called today and they
       said......

		    4 to 8 months.
       so add another 3 to 6 months on top of that and we have Christmas 90.

       Now thats bullsh*t, IMHO.

	  Later Atari, I'm not waiting around for your lies anymore.

--
	     E-mail == stevem@Solbourne.COM
  "FRODO LIVES"                                "COLORADO!!"