[comp.sys.atari.st] GNU/Sozobon C question

thamer@skiff.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mustafa Thamer) (01/17/90)

What is the difference between Sozobon, GNU (gcc), and C compilers
like Laser C or MWC.  Are they just different compilers or
improved/modified languages.  I've heard a lot fo talk about
GNU stuff and was wondering what's the big deal.?

	Thanks
		Mustafa

-=-
	"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker.
	 You wanna get out of here; you talk to me."   Max - The Road Warrior

	 M. Thamer @cis.ohio-state.edu

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (01/17/90)

In article <75767@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Mustafa Thamer <thamer@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>What is the difference between Sozobon, GNU (gcc), and C compilers
>like Laser C or MWC.  Are they just different compilers or
>improved/modified languages.  I've heard a lot fo talk about
>GNU stuff and was wondering what's the big deal.?

The GNU project stands for "GNU's Not Unix." It is composed of
mostly volunteers, and overworked, underpaid hackers whose sole
purpose is to port the UNIX(tm) OS, environment and accompanying
utilities and tools into the public domain (with source code) on
a variety of platforms. They are basing their philosophy on the
old hacker ethic that knowledge should be free, and, to directly
oppose AT&T's "no source code" license, they are rewriting everything
from scratch and *giving* it away.

It's a monumental effort, but there are company's out there supporting
them. (Most micro computer and workstation companies have donated
equipment to the project...it's gotten quite large.) Anyhow, there
stuff seems to work fairly flawlessly. The have emacs, several compiliers,
and most utilities running on a large group of plateforms. Which bring
us to:

	gcc - this is GNU's public domain C++ compiler. It comes
		with source code for the Atari, and a Sun-Atari
		cross compiler. C++ is *not* C, but a metaset language
		encompassing most ANSI C syntax. The extensions are
		in the areas of Object Oriented Programming (OOPS)
		Systems. (MODULA is such a language.) These extensions
		allow you to have several job processing running
		"at once" (or seemly) by treating code functions
		as OOPS objects.

		We have gcc on the Suns at work, and it works quite well.
		I just got gcc for the Atari ST, but I haven't gotten
		around to installing it yet. It's quite huge. (With
		source, binaries, documentation, cross-compilers, etc
		if comes to a little over 14 Megabytes.)

Other C compilers you asked about:

	Sozobon C:	Another public domain C. And amazingly well
			done. It conforms with K&R standards, and
			supports GEM and AES calls. Its YAPAFS. (Yet
			Another Piece of Amazing Free Software.) There
			are a lot of talented people out there with
			a lot of time on their hands!

	MWC:		Mark Williams C. This is a commercial piece of
			software. It comes with a UNIX-like environmental
			shell, and conforms (supposedly) to K&R. The two
			people who I personally know who have MWC don't
			care for it. I have no first hand experience with
			it, so I can't judge.

	Laser C:	Formerly Megamax C. This is also commercial. Frankly,
			I love it. It can either be operated from a UNIX
			shell (golum works quite well), or from its own
			menu oriented programming environment. Laser C
			shines the brightest in this latter environment.
			The shell caches your code and binaries during
			the first compile/link stage. After that, it changes
			only the modified parts of the source and binaries in
			cache. The results are impressive. Huge (and I
			am talking about 10's of 1000's of lines of code)
			compile and link at blinding speeds.

			It also comes with a debugger I've grown quite
			dependent on.

Both Laser C and MWC sell for the $110-$140 range.

Hope this all helps.

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (01/17/90)

In article <75767@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, thamer@skiff.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mustafa Thamer) writes:
> What is the difference between Sozobon, GNU (gcc), and C compilers
> like Laser C or MWC.  Are they just different compilers or
> improved/modified languages.  I've heard a lot fo talk about
> GNU stuff and was wondering what's the big deal.?

Well, they're all just compilers. But they all support different features.
There are two standards for C; K&R first edition (the original book by
Kernighan and Ritchie) and ANSI C, which is the new standard (and which
is covered in the second edition of Kernighan and Ritchie). All of the
compilers you mention are more or less compliant with K&R 1st edition,
and they all have (different) extensions to it. The GCC also complies
with the ANSI standard (and has extensions to *that* as well!).

I've used Laser, Sozobon, and the GCC. I only use the GCC now; I find the
other compilers quite limiting in the features available. On the other
hand, the GCC pretty much requires a hard disk and 2 megabytes of memory.
If you don't have this much, you might consider one of the alternatives.
Sozobon is a pretty decent compiler, and the price is certainly right.
And the commercial compilers do have the advantage of better documentation
and (often) nice graphics shells, if you care about that.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ERSMITH@uwovax.uwo.ca

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (01/17/90)

In article <25724@brunix.UUCP>, rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) writes:
[ some useful (and correct) information about GNU deleted ]
> 	gcc - this is GNU's public domain C++ compiler. It comes
> 		with source code for the Atari, and a Sun-Atari
> 		cross compiler. C++ is *not* C, but a metaset language
> 		encompassing most ANSI C syntax. The extensions are
> 		in the areas of Object Oriented Programming (OOPS)
> 		Systems. (MODULA is such a language.) These extensions
> 		allow you to have several job processing running
> 		"at once" (or seemly) by treating code functions
> 		as OOPS objects.

NO! What you describe is g++, GNU's version of C++, and not gcc.
gcc is an ANSI compatible C compiler. The Atari version of g++ is
available, but still somewhat buggy, I hear. The Atari gcc is (I hope)
no more buggy than the other gcc's, which is to say it has a few bugs,
but probably no more than commercial compilers.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ERSMITH@uwovax.uwo.ca
University of Western Ontario   ERSMITH@uwovax.bitnet
London, Ont. Canada N6A 5B7
ph: (519) 661-3638

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/17/90)

The previous reply in this thread had an error and a statement I disagree with.
1)gcc is the GNU C compiler.  It's available for the Atari ST, and is compliant
with the draft ANSI standard.  There's also g++, the GNU C++ compiler, which
is not C, and if it's }iavailable for the ST, that's very recent.

2)I like Mark Williams C.  The non machine-specific parts are pretty K&R
compliant.  The library is very UNIX-like.  The support people are great if
you phone (don't write--they answer in 3 months).  The compiler is said to be
derived from pcc.  The source and machine language debuggers work well.
                                   Steve J.

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (01/18/90)

Regards Mark Williams C:
	I have, use it, and like it a lot.  It's a solid, professional
compiler with a lot of support and tons of documentation.  I use it
with the Beckemeyer C-Shell, and in that environment, it's basically
like using Un*x.  MWC has CSD which is their C Source Debugger, which
is great stuff;  once you start using it, you'll be hooked.  (You'll
need big chunks of memory, tho'...).  I use MWC with a ram disc,
so all loads of the compiler, and all intermediate files go to RAM.
It's acceptably fast, although not as fast as Laser C.  Anyway,
I just wanted to give my perspective, as a very satisfied user
of MWC.

Disclaimer: I don't work for MW, and I don't know anyone who does
(except their support people! :-)

|--alex | alex@Atherton.COM |  Caution!  Falling Opinions, next 6 miles   |
|        Now who are you gonna believe--me, or your own lyin' eyes?       |

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.154602.19880@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

> 2)I like Mark Williams C.  The non machine-specific parts are pretty K&R
> compliant.  The library is very UNIX-like.  The support people are great if
> you phone (don't write--they answer in 3 months).  The compiler is said to be
> derived from pcc.  The source and machine language debuggers work well.
>                                    Steve J.

I too like MWC. I have been using it for 3 years now. MWC does require a
hard drive, but any serious programmer is going to have a hard drive anyway.
And as I use UNIX at work, I fit very well with MWC's msh.

And the best thing about MWC is its manual. I am still learning things from
it. Also, MWC has an 800 technical support phone number (though I don't
remember it right now). MWC has always been very helpful in answering my
technical questions.

Plus, you can buy the source code to the MWC Libraries. So, you can see what
the differences between malloc() and Malloc() are!

So, if you are a UNIX programmer I would recommend MWC. If you are a novice
C coder or just have a floppy drive I would recommend Laser C.

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652