[comp.sys.atari.st] IBM format on ST

BERLIN@DGACHEM5.BITNET (H. Baiter) (01/30/90)

Subject: Need IBM Format Program for my ST SF314

In article <1405@ariel.unm.edu>, seattle@hydra.unm.edu (David G. Adams) writes:
> Subject just about says it all.  I need to format some disks in IBM format,
> so they'll read on a friend's PC.  I know, the simple solution is to use
> his PC, but he lives 3 states over...  I know TOS 1.4 has this feature
> built in, but I don't have 1.4.  I have an '86 model 520ST.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave
>
>    /|\    |  seattle@hydra.unm.edu  <>  Dadams10@GEnie  <>  David G. Adams  \
>   < |/\   |    LotE    |  "Modern love is automatic"  - A Flock of Seagulls |
>    \|     |  Live it!  |  Don't bug the University 'bout nuthin' I've said. /

i format my disks with the normal FORMAT command of the ST (doesn't matter
which TOS version) or with the FORMAT of the PC. After I have done this, I
change the first three bytes 00-02 of the bootsector to <EB 34 90> and the
media byte at 21 to <F9> with a diskmonitor on the ST or on the PC. That's all
that I have to do.

I have got this idea from the german computer magazine "c't Zeitschrift fuer
Computertechniik" of June or July 1989. I work with this method for more than
six months and I never had any problems with my disks except booting them on
the ST, but this is not of interest cause I use these disks normally for file
transfer.

Using these disks I transferred all my programs form the panarthea server or
the PROG-A16 list from the PC at work to my ST at home and I never had any
trouble with the programs.

Subject: FIREWORK available on net ?

By the way, does someone have a compilede version of the program <FIREWORKS>
form the german ST COMPUTER magazine, October 1989. I typed this program into
my ST and used an old version of the Megamax C compiler, but I couldn't get it
to work. Can anyone send my a encoded version of the running program ?

Thanks

Hermann

Time of message sent: 29-JAN-1990 14:10:13  MEZ

Hermann Baiter
Institut fuer Physikalische Chemie der TU Muenchen, Garching, West-Germany

BITNET-address: BERLIN@DGACHEM5