[comp.sys.atari.st] PUBLISHING PARTNER

MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (01/08/87)

I just got a copy of Publishing Partner from SoftLogik Corp.  It's a
very powerful desktop publishing package for the ST.  I understand it
is quite similar to Pagemaker on the Macintosh, but I've never used PM
so I couldn't say myself.  Anyways, I am *very* impressed with P.P.
I've been creating flyers for my soon-to-be-open ST computer store with
it all day now, and its ease-of-use and power are just fantastic.  And
the output quality on my NX-10 dot matrix is excellent.  It prints each
page in quad-density, double-strike!  (takes a few years for each page,
but the results are worth it.)  It also supports PostScript fully.  It
is a full-scale desktop publishing program--nothing has been left out that
I can see.  At $150, for what it does, it is a bargain.  If anyone is
interested in a more detailed review, please let me know.

Michael P. Cohan    MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET  Mikecohan on DELPHI

I have no connection with SoftLogik Corp., except that I bought their
program and I think it's great.  So there.

bryan@ihlpf.UUCP (01/28/87)

In order to load in different printer drivers you must first
delete the config.inf file from your disk (Be sure to back up
your disk). Also if you import graphics be sure to put the
program disk back in before you print or else you will get
Cherry Bombs.  While I think Publishing Partner is a great
product it does need a little polish.

			Bryan DeLaney
			ihnet!bryan or ihlpf!bryan
			AT&T Bell Labs Naperville, IL

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET.UUCP (02/20/87)

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why my Publishing Partner
postscript files wouldn't run on the Apple Laserwriter connected to the
vax here, not being much of a laserwriter/postscript hacker.  After some
fooling around I found that our laserwriter doesn't like lines bigger than
about 130 chars (128? 132? something like that).  In the definition section
of the postscript file there a definition (for /s) that is about 160 chars
that was causing my problem, but I notice other lines get uncomfortably
long thoughout the file.
Does anyone know if the laserwriter line length is selectable?  I couldn't
find mention of it in the books here.  Should this be considered a bug?
Since I just got an update of publishing partner, and other people seem to
be using it, I'm wondering if our laserwriter is peculiar, or are other
people just fixing it and not worrying about it?
Don Rice
University of Alaska-Fairbanks   BITNET%"FXDDR@ALASKA"

tech@usceast.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <8702210126.AA25876@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET.UUCP writes:
>I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why my Publishing Partner
>postscript files wouldn't run on the Apple Laserwriter connected to the
>vax here, not being much of a laserwriter/postscript hacker.  After some

I have been using PP with a Laser Writer on a Vax for about a month. If
you are using unix the fix is fairly simple. Use tr to translate all
^M's in the file to ^J's (make them unix style newlines)
Ex:
	tr '\015' '\012' <infile >outfile
The other problem we encountered was in the preamble. The first four
lines of the file generated from the command above will contain 2 ^C's
which will kill the job in the spooler.

The filter included below should be run after you have changed the newlines
it will generate the correct preamble for the adobe postscript driver
under Berkley 4.2

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
	int c;

	while((c=getchar())!= '/');
	printf("%%!\n");
	putchar(c);
	while((c=getchar())!=EOF)
		putchar(c);
}

			Good Luck,
			Bill Wood (!usceast!tech)

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (02/24/87)

I also tried to get the postscript files to work with a
laserprinter at work...i had trouble.  I have since received
an update and haven't had the time to try again.
[ SoftLogik  can be commended unlike the majority of
  companies for sending 2 disks with the update WITHOUT
  me having to send them my original ]
On a tangent :
	Publishing Partner seems to work quite well directly
hooked up to an Apple Laserwriter.

         520ST(1 MEG) -----NULL MODEM------Apple Laserwriter
                                            Set at 9600 baud

I am *very* pleased (so far) with Publishing Partner...

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET (03/09/87)

I am becoming quite a Publishing Partner enthusiast now that our Laser
Writer connection is behaving itself.  I recently used it to compose a
lab assignment for an EE class here, combining schematics from DEGAS
Elite with text keyed into Publishing Partner.  My boss wanted a reference
for the book I'd xeroxed it out of!  No book, just me and my ST.

The one thing that I would really like to be able to do is to get at the
math symbols and Greek alphabet.  According to the LaserWriter book some
symbols are stashed in the upper 128 characters of the Helvetica font,
and of course the Symbols font has most of the others I'd need.  I can
make up mathematical fonts for the dot matrix printers using the font
editors from compuserve, but I don't see that they affect the Postscript
driver.  Anybody have ideas on this?  I can use DEGAS Elite to build
equations and pull them in that way, but it takes quite a bit of fiddling
to get the font sizes to match and to look good doing it that way.

Don Rice
University of Alaska, Fairbanks   BITNET%"FXDDR@ALASKA"
CIS 72337,3417  //  KL7JIQ

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (03/07/88)

On saturday (03-05-88) publishing partner professional was shown at
the ACE meeting here in St. Louis.  The head programmer and some PR
guy gave the the presentation.  The programmer, Darren (I didn't catch
his last name) said the program was 90+% finished and he is working on
some of the enhance features.  He couldn't give a date as to when he
would be finished;"depends on how much sleep I need in the next three
weeks."

From what I saw of the program it is going to be fantastic.  It does all
the things you wished publishing partner could have done in the first
place plus more.

The upgrade is supposed to be $50 plus $5 for shipping/etc.

Regards, Norm Frech

Norm Frech  <nfrech@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-HL, Box 1578, St.Louis, MO 63188-1578
COMMERICAL: (314) 263-5231     AUTOVON:  693-5231

pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1132) (11/01/88)

Does anybody know what is the current cost to upgrade to the new
version of Publishing Partner (Profrssional) from the old version?

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/02/88)

In article <672@sdcc15.UUCP>, pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1132) writes:
> Does anybody know what is the current cost to upgrade to the new
> version of Publishing Partner (Profrssional) from the old version?

I wouldn't buy Page Stream(PS) right now. Sotflogik (SL) just shipped version 1.0
of PS this week and the 'known bugs' list is over 24!! SL has indicated that another
version would be shipped within 30 days. But, SL has lied to their pre-paid customers
for almost a year about PPP (now PS), so I don't believe them at all.

PS won't use original PP fonts. New fonts must be created for PS.
PS won't read original PP documents. so, forget about using your past work.
All in all, I think that PS is a loser and should be avoided for at last six
more months. I don't think that SL can make it a viable, reliable product for
at least that time.

Of course these are just my opinions and you are welcome to ignore them!!

Richard (PS is lame) Covert

CHIASSA@UDEM.BITNET (Alyre CHIASSON) (02/01/90)

I now have a STAR NX-2400 (EP-LQ compatible) printer that I
would like to use with PUBLISHING PARTNER. If you have such
a driver could you a) let me know it exist and b) send me
a copy if it has
been released for distribution. Normally, I would call the
closest BBS (SECTOR, Halifax, N.S.) but they had a recent
fire and may not setup another BBS in the immediate future.
Thanks