[comp.sys.atari.st] ST Format, TOS 1.4 moans directed at Atari UK

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (02/01/90)

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) writes:

| ps. UK mags have been saying that disks formatted with the STE and TOS
| 1.6 are not readable by IBM PCs.  Any comments?

Sounds suspiciously like a case of bad floppy or old DOS.  The desktop
formatting code did not change AT ALL between Rainbow and STE TOS.

Compatibility problems can arise with old MS-DOS versions which use a
magical "media descriptor byte" rather than the proper parameter block
information from the boot sector of a floppy.  The "media descriptor
byte" is not supported by GEMDOS, nor is it supported by Microsoft any
more.  Incompatibilities also exist among certain PC drives - not only
with ST formatted disks, but with PC formatted disks as well.

Am I being paranoid, or has there really been a proclivity on the part
of the press (UK and elsewhere) to slam the STE???  I've heard more
negative rumours and outright lies about the STE than any other recent
Atari development.  I wonder why this is?

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/02/90)

In article <2013@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>Am I being paranoid, or has there really been a proclivity on the part
>of the press (UK and elsewhere) to slam the STE???  I've heard more
>negative rumours and outright lies about the STE than any other recent
>Atari development.  I wonder why this is?
     It's because they've gotten tired of slamming Commodore-Amiga. (He
said, with half a smiley face.) It seems that some people just have to
have SOMETHING to look down upon, to make them feel alright about the
machines they purchased...
                                                  - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

Trevor.Kirby@newcastle.ac.uk (Trevor Kirby) (02/02/90)

Perhaps all the STE slagging is because some of the rumours the mags put
out were so wild they believed it themselves. Then they were put out when
it didn't turn out to be a TT with a cray inside it.

 trev
ARPA :Trevor.Kirby@newcastle.ac.uk          JANET: Trevor.Kirby@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP :...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!Trevor.Kirby  PHONE: +44 91 222 7594
FAX  :+44 91 222 8232                       TELEX: uk+53654-UNINEW_G
SNAIL:Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, NE1 7RU

gjh@otter.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/02/90)

>     It's because they've gotten tired of slamming Commodore-Amiga. (He
> said, with half a smiley face.) It seems that some people just have to
> have SOMETHING to look down upon, to make them feel alright about the
> machines they purchased...

Yes, this *is* a known psychological phenomenon. Anyone wishing to know more
(those "enquiring minds", for example) should look up Festinger's cognitive
dissonance theory and the empirical work surrounding it. Doesn't explain
anti-STE attitudes adopted by journos though, they shouldn't be affected by
cognitive dissonance, not being personally involved in resource expenditure
decisions (the engine of cognitive dissonance).

Graham
======
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.