[comp.sys.atari.st] STe, I really want one

oplinger@jupiter.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (02/02/90)

I just sold my 1Meg ST. I wanted to upgrade to a mega2. So I called my
local dealer. No such thing in stock. So I called a dealer from where
I used to live. No such thing in stock. I called 2 dealers a friend
recommended, ready, no such thing in stock. I got out the latest
issues of STExpress, Start, Atari Explorer, and Current Notes. I
called every firm that looked like it sold computers (about 10 stores
total). NO SUCH THING IN STOCK.

This is crazy. Here I am, a person wanting to buy a mega and nobody
(well at least that I can find) stocks one.

Fine, be that way. I 'll just buy a STe. Now here is where I need some
help. Can some of the people in Canada who are reading this please
either post or e-mail me the phone number/address of your favorite
Canadian Atari store. Preferable one who would sell a STe to a
foreigner like me. If they are near Montreal, I can just drive up
there (about a 5 hr drive). Otherwise, it must be shipped.

Help me, Make my day. Enable me to get a computer once again.

thanks all

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

<#include standard.disclaimer>

stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (stowe) (02/03/90)

In article <5076@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> oplinger@jupiter.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) writes:
 >I just sold my 1Meg ST. I wanted to upgrade to a mega2. So I called my
 >local dealer. No such thing in stock. So I called a dealer from where
 >I used to live. No such thing in stock. I called 2 dealers a friend
 >recommended, ready, no such thing in stock. I got out the latest
 >issues of STExpress, Start, Atari Explorer, and Current Notes. I
 >called every firm that looked like it sold computers (about 10 stores
 >total). NO SUCH THING IN STOCK.
 >
 >This is crazy. Here I am, a person wanting to buy a mega and nobody
 >(well at least that I can find) stocks one.
 >
 >Fine, be that way. I 'll just buy a STe.

It's not that the dealers don't stock them!  Dealers are desperate for
them.  (Believe me... I've just gone through this twice in the last
week!)  The problem is that Atari doesn't have any Mega 2s!!  We can't
get them.  I know dealers who've had them on backorder for 4-6 weeks.
Please don't blame this one on the dealers.  It's not their/our fault.

(Brian... look for some more mail from me about this, but I wanted people
to know that it's not because the dealers don't want Mega 2s... they
simply can't get them.)

-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-
stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.
-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-

rick@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Ruck) (02/03/90)

I think a posting about Canadian dealers might be appreciated by a number
of people.  Aside from being slightly illegal, are there any technical
problems with smuggling one of the machines across the border?  Is there
a best way to do the dirty job? :-)

I've noticed the lack of Mega 2's for sale in the US.  I have a Mega 2 in need
of repair--not only do they not have the part, but they don't have another
Mega 2 *at Atari* to send me as a replacement, or to cannabalize to get the
part.  You might try finding a new Mega 2 at j&R Musicworld, in NY.

Eric