[comp.sys.atari.st] Facts, not only talking a

ron.sharp@canremote.uucp (RON SHARP) (01/31/90)

So.  If Atari has been improving its deal for developers, why haven't
they been telling anyone about it?  A little information in the Atari
Explorer would go a long way.  (Like, what are the options for becoming
a ST, STe, TT, or ATW developer?  Are they on display behind a "Beware
of the Leopard" sign?)

---
 ~ QNet 2.03: The Crystal Palace * NorthAmeriNet * Toronto (416) 925-5742 *

dcw@doc.ic.ac.uk (Duncan C White) (02/02/90)

In article <1989@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>You can purchase developer documentation by itself for a significantly
>reduced price.  The latest release of the developer documentation is
>professionally printed, indexed, and includes several new addenda.

(Reduced from $300, for those not following this thread)

I would be interested in knowing exactly WHAT this "significantly reduced
price for the documentation alone" is.  Is it on sale to the general
public?  Or do you have to become a Registered Developer (complete with
non disclosure agreement) in order to see a word of it?

I have spent some time studying the original (circa 1985) developer's
documentation, and, in my opinion, it is a badly photocopied, badly written,
incomplete and misleading set of junk.
I'm very glad to hear Ken say that Atari are finally getting round to
producing a decent version. Only 5 years late, I guess..

(All this may be complicated by the fact that I'm in the UK, and Atari UK
are generally regarded as even worse than Atari US...)

Finally, may I say that I am not trying to criticise Ken or any other of
the Atari employees who spend some of their time being "visible" on the
Net.  I have two Ataris (one being repaired :-), I like them, but I think
the level of technical information freely available to anyone - general public
or developers - has been appalling ever since the ST was released.

	Duncan

Duncan White,           |       Doctor: "I'm sure I've forgotten something.."
Dept. Of Computing,     |       Shopkeeper: "Haven't you forgotten something?"
Imperial College,       |       Doctor: "Yes..but what?"
London SW7		|       Shopkeeper: "Money"
England,		|	Doctor: "Oh no, that wasn't it"
The Earth.		|	(wanders off looking puzzled, without paying)
(or Gallifrey?)		|		Survival episode I, 22nd Nov 1989

rick@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Ruck) (02/03/90)

In article <90020121141238@masnet.uucp> ron.sharp@canremote.uucp (RON SHARP) writes:
>So.  If Atari has been improving its deal for developers, why haven't
>they been telling anyone about it?

Haven't you heard?  They're not allowed to tell!