[comp.sys.atari.st] A Better GIF Viewer?

jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) (02/03/90)

  I've recently become interested in GIF pictures. But the problem I have is
that all the GIF viewers I've seen are limited to only showing images as big as
the screen allows. If the GIF picture is in any way bigger than the screen
size, then the whole picutre gets squished one way or another.

  So, all I want to know is : Is there a GIF viewer for the ST's that will
_not_ condense the picture down if it's bigger than the screen size? (I imagine
such a thing would use either a window system or the arrow keys to allow the
user to scroll through the whole picutre without loss of resolution.)

  Post or E-mail any responses you have. (If I get no replies, I guess I'll
just have to wait for the STe or the TT to come out in the U.S., maybe they'll
be able to handle GIF pictures better!  :-)

  Thanks in advance.

						John

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/03/90)

In article <7814@chaph.usc.edu>, jjung@nunki.usc.edu (John Jung) writes:

>  I've recently become interested in GIF pictures. But the problem I have is
>that all the GIF viewers I've seen are limited to only showing images as big as
>the screen allows. If the GIF picture is in any way bigger than the screen
>size, then the whole picutre gets squished one way or another.
>
>  So, all I want to know is : Is there a GIF viewer for the ST's that will
>_not_ condense the picture down if it's bigger than the screen size? (I imagine
>such a thing would use either a window system or the arrow keys to allow the
>user to scroll through the whole picutre without loss of resolution.)
>
>  Post or E-mail any responses you have. (If I get no replies, I guess I'll
>just have to wait for the STe or the TT to come out in the U.S., maybe they'll
>be able to handle GIF pictures better!  :-)
>
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>						John

Digispec, a desktop accessory included with the Computer Eyes Digitizer (I
think) will give you the option to view the top, center, or middle.  You can
also adjust colors and grey-scale values, and reevaluate the picture with the
new colors/intensities.  It will also allow you to save the pics in Spectrum
format.  Only problem is that I do not think it is available by itself (I am
not sure on this one).

         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead