[comp.sys.atari.st] ICD's Cleanup

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/02/90)

In article <5440100@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>I've been told several times that ICD's CLEANUP.PRG is the best thing going
>for the ST. I have a demo version that I ran on a severely corrupted
>partition, and it claimed it could have repaired it (since it was a demo
>version, it did not do the repairs :-( ).

I have ICD CLEANUP, and it did save me lots of times.

However, there is one small catch (I believe).  It only works with ICD host
adaptors.

I can't confirm this, as I only have an ICD, but I remember trying to run it
off of floppy when my hard drive was really on the fritz, and it said 'no ICD
host adaptor present' and aborted.  (the DMA bus was locked, I think)

Mike

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (02/05/90)

>I have ICD CLEANUP, and it did save me lots of times.
>
>However, there is one small catch (I believe).  It only works with ICD host
>adaptors.
>
>I can't confirm this, as I only have an ICD, but I remember trying to run it
>off of floppy when my hard drive was really on the fritz, and it said 'no ICD
>host adaptor present' and aborted.  (the DMA bus was locked, I think)

I also have ICD CLEANUP for my BBS hard drives, and it is VERY nice.
It does everything automatically.  All you really need to do is stand
there and click on CONTINUE.

However, it DOES require the ICD Host Adapter, and it DOES cost $29.95
(from ICD).  However, it's worth it.  The last thing I want to deal with
are bad sectors on a BBS HD.

The program does let you get into the nitty-gritty (if you wish).  It's
reconfigurable and gives you quite a few options.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: clf3678@rit.isc
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS