[comp.sys.atari.st] SF 354 ===> double sided drive

JTT106@psuvm.psu.edu (02/02/90)

   I have two SF 354 drives and would like to upgrade one of them to a

double sidded drive.  I tried to directely replace the drive mechanism with

a sony double sided mechanism.  This didn't work.  Does anyone out there

know how to upgrade one of these things, I know it can be done I have

seen direct replacements for sale in magazines.

                                                      John T.

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (02/05/90)

In article <90032.152738JTT106@PSUVM.BITNET> JTT106@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>   I have two SF 354 drives and would like to upgrade one of them to a
>double sidded drive.  I tried to directely replace the drive mechanism with
>a sony double sided mechanism.  This didn't work.  Does anyone out there
>know how to upgrade one of these things, I know it can be done I have
>seen direct replacements for sale in magazines.

Some drive mechs won't work on the ST.  I do know that there is one
Sony drive that won't.  I believe Jameco sells them for $59 or so.

Depending on what mech you had in the drive before, it could be easy or
hard.  When I did the replacement on my old 354, it was a plug-n-play
affair.  Recently, I did another replacement on a friend's 354, and it
was a nightmare.  I guess Atari used different interface boards (those
boards that have the Atari connectors on them) for different mechs.

If you could tell us what mechs you have in those drives, it would be
easier to diagnose the problem.  One simple thing you might check is the
drive ID jumper on the mech itself.  Make sure it is on D0.  You might
also have to play with the other jumpers to get it working correctly.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: clf3678@rit.isc
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS