[comp.sys.atari.st] atari laser printer

rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) (01/11/88)

  I was in my local computer store on Saturday and I saw
an Atari laser printer hooked up to a Mega ST. The salesman
showed me some Publishing Partner flyers that he printed out and they
looked really good. No "jaggies" on the larger letters like you
sometimes get on HP laserjet printers. The printer comes with several
disks that have a lot of fonts. All fonts for this printer are software
loadable (which means they should be cheap compared to font cartridges).
At the last minute Atari switched to the Cannon engine, eliminating a lot
of the problems associated with the liquid toner of the ricoh engine.
There is an additional box that goes between the printer and the computer
which might be used to chain the DMA port, this box was small enough
to sit nicely on top of the SM204 hard disk. The retail price of the
printer is $1995 but I think I could get it for $1600 from this
particular dealer. One of the emulations this printer can do is
Diablo 630 making it compatible with any word processor that can
talk to a Diablo 630. As most of us know by now the laser printer
uses the computers memory instead of its own. An advantage of the
printer using the computers memory is speed. I did not test the printer
in depth enough to determine how fast or slow it was.

We talked about about the wisdom of buying a printer that can only
be use on one computer. Like anything else there are advantages and
disadvantages. Normally, the biggest advantage would be support.
Unfortunately, looking at Atari's past track record my biggest
fear would be that some bug would be discovered that would make the
printer a nuisance to use and we would be waiting two years or more
for a fix. This fear is compounded by the fact that my SM204 seems
to be a victim of ATDI's (or whatever that hard disk utility is) inability
to properly mark bad sectors. I bought the SM204 because I thought it
would be the most compatible and have the least problems and I am finding
out the opposite is true.

I decided to take a wait and see attitude before I buy this printer. If
I feel I will get the support I need I will probably buy one.

							R. T. Bradstrum

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (01/13/88)

In article <3322@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) writes:

> At the last minute Atari switched to the Cannon engine, eliminating a lot
> of the problems associated with the liquid toner of the ricoh engine.

Well... that's not true.  We *never* planned to use the Ricoh engine, which I
I believe runs at 6 pages per minute.  Nor do we use the Canon engine now.
The actual engine being used is the TEC, which is 8 pages per minute, writes
white (which gives nice solid blacks), and which should be cheaper to
operate.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

michaela@iscuve.isc-br.com (Michael Albo) (02/05/90)

I was wondering if anyone knew of an Epson Emulation for the Atari
laser printer yet? If so how might I obtain it? Thanks.

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/05/90)

In article <2734@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM>, michaela@iscuve.isc-br.com (Michael Albo) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone knew of an Epson Emulation for the Atari
>laser printer yet? If so how might I obtain it? Thanks.

I know of one called LaserBrain, a German program.  I believe some if not
all the versions are PD, but I could be wrong.  I have no idea how you could
go about getting it, but perhaps you could try some PD disk vendors.

         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead