[comp.sys.atari.st] MicroEMACS 3.10 Cursor/Bell

chrisl@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Chris Parkin Lilley [cs12]) (02/03/90)

I've just compiled up MicroEMACS 3.10 on my ST (Using MWC), and at first
I thought all was hunky-dory. Then I went and used it on another machine which
happened to have the monitor sound turned up (mine's turned down 'cos I don't
like keyclick). Imagine my surprise when, every time the cursor was XOR'ed,
a sound like a chiming bell was emitted. Not the normal beep/click sound, but
a *really* annoying bell sound. I then tried it on my own machine with the
sound turned up, and it does exactly the same. I hate it!

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what the heck causes it? I can't
see anything obvious, and I've certainly never come across it in the
documentation anywhere. All help gratefully received.

Thanx in advance,

-Chrisl.
--
		"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Chris Parkin Lilley, CS1.2, BT Fulcrum, UK               chrisl@uk.co.bt.fulcrum

harryk@bucsb.UUCP (Harry Karayiannis) (02/04/90)

In article <B#3Y4*@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> chrisl@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk.UUCP writes:
>I've just compiled up MicroEMACS 3.10 on my ST (Using MWC), and at first
>I thought all was hunky-dory. Then I went and used it on another machine which
>happened to have the monitor sound turned up (mine's turned down 'cos I don't
>like keyclick). Imagine my surprise when, every time the cursor was XOR'ed,
>a sound like a chiming bell was emitted. Not the normal beep/click sound, but
>a *really* annoying bell sound. I then tried it on my own machine with the
>sound turned up, and it does exactly the same. I hate it!
>
>Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what the heck causes it? I can't
>see anything obvious, and I've certainly never come across it in the
>documentation anywhere. All help gratefully received.
>
>Thanx in advance,
>
>-Chrisl.
>--
>		"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
>Chris Parkin Lilley, CS1.2, BT Fulcrum, UK               chrisl@uk.co.bt.fulcrum

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (02/06/90)

Chris Lilley writes about the 'Bong!' in MicroEmacs 3.10.

You haven't configured it correctly.  I had this going for a while too,
and it was annoying as you know what.  Then I read the manual.  MicroEmacs
3.10, unlike earlier versions, is a _GEM_ program, so if you're running
it from a CLI, you have to do something like:

"GEM .../path/emacs.prg <file>"

in order to run it correctly.  If I recall, you also have to
INSTALL it as a GEM application from the desktop.  Can't recall
right off the top of my head, though.  Read the docs (yeah, I
realize that they're huge.), it's mentioned in there somewhere.
BTW, MicroEmacs 3.10 is _great_!  (Supports the mouse and a whole
bunch of other stuff.)

|--alex | alex@Atherton.COM |  Caution!  Falling Opinions, next 6 miles   |
|     "Ha! That's it!  Hold it right there!.....(Pronoun trouble)!"       |