[comp.sys.atari.st] caches that work with >16 meg partitions

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/06/90)

In article <2020@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>The hardest-hit class of programs is the "add cache sectors" or  other
>disk-caching kind, because it  needs to know how big a buffer to
>allocate.  The answer to that question is impossible to compute, so
>it's available from the hard-disk driver.  (It's impossible to compute
>because it involves a user-preference value which can be patched into
>the driver: with removable media you could pop the cartridge and put in
>one with larger logical sectors, so the user tells the driver a
>minimum for the "maximum sector-size" value to use.)
>
>CACHExxx.PRG from Atari, of course, interrogates the driver and uses
>that number correctly.

Where can I get the latest version of CACHExxx.PRG?  Does anyone
have any comments on this or other caching programs?  (Ie. any
problems using them with partitions >16 meg or any comments
about their usefulness.)

Is this program public domain or do I need to shell out $$$ for it.
(I'm willing to do that if it is a useful program.)  If it is not
in the public domain, what info do I need to give my dealer so that
he can get it for me?

Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+