[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari's Quarterly Results

rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu (W. David Rohwer) (01/07/90)

	The following is from "The Business Journal", p. 28, for the Week
of January 8, 1990.

		"Atari Corp. of Sunnyvale suffered a third-quarter
	net loss of $5.4 million, or 9 cents per share, on net sales
	of $81.44 million.  During the third quarter of the year
	before, the company earned $900,000, or 2 cents per share, on
	on net sales of $98.8 million.

		"For the nine-month period ended Sept 30, Atari had
	a net loss of $1.78 million, or 3 cents per share, on net
	sales of $252.96 million.  It earned $12.14 million, or 21
	cents per share, on net sales of $299.64 million during the
	comparable period for the previous year."

	Apparently, Atari is slowly fading into oblivion.  :)

	I don't read these newsgroups, so if you want to contact me, then
you will have to email messages to me.

|   //  W. David Rohwer   //      UUCP    : {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!rohwerwd |
| \X/       Go A's!     \X/       Internet: rohwerwd@csusac.csus.edu          |

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (01/08/90)

Are they serious ????
They sold 98 million dollars worth of stuff and only made
a 900,000 dollar profit ????

Sounds fishy to me.

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

waynekn@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (01/11/90)

In article <30200039@inmet>, hedger@inmet.inmet.com writes:
- Are they serious ????
- They sold 98 million dollars worth of stuff and only made
- a 900,000 dollar profit ????
-
- Sounds fishy to me.

That's nothing!  My company has even manage to sell 1.4 BILLION
and LOSE 16 million!!!  Atari looks good from where I'm sitting.
(The above happen in the year that ended June of 1988)

                                          Wayne Knapp

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (01/11/90)

>Sounds fishy to me.

Low margens on their products. :-)

.>Brad Martin<.
  Atari Jihad

"The above opinions are mine and mine alone... I think."

ejohanss@wang.UUCP (Eric Johansson) (01/12/90)

waynekn@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) writes:

>In article <30200039@inmet>, hedger@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>- Are they serious ????
>- They sold 98 million dollars worth of stuff and only made
>- a 900,000 dollar profit ????
>-
>- Sounds fishy to me.

>That's nothing!  My company has even manage to sell 1.4 BILLION
>and LOSE 16 million!!!  Atari looks good from where I'm sitting.
>(The above happen in the year that ended June of 1988)

>                                          Wayne Knapp

What are you guys complaining about.  wang makes you look like pikers! we lost
0.5 billion on 3 billion of sales...( hmmm. maybe that's why they RIFed about
10,000 folks world wide)

--- eric  ( from whats left of ) Wang Labs
ejohanss@wang.com

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/01/90)

In article <485d8c5b.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>well, once again Atari Corp has shown how much it cares about the
>USA market by releasing its new products overseas first. I really wonder
>just how committed Atari corp is to the USa market anyway??
>
>So, I am happy that the STe isn't Vaporware but it just joins the group of
>other Atari products that have never been sold here in the USA. Like th
>entire line of PC clones, the TT, and now the STe. Geez, when will Atari ever learn
>that the USA is not some hick third world country?

The PC clones never made it to the USA?  I'm almost certain that I've seen
them in a store here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) (02/02/90)

In article <20396@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
:The PC clones never made it to the USA?  I'm almost certain that I've seen
:them in a store here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

   That's not the USA.

--
David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/03/90)

In article <1153@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:
>In article <20396@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>:The PC clones never made it to the USA?  I'm almost certain that I've seen
>:them in a store here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
>
>   That's not the USA.

True...however, it seems strange that they would be available here in
Canada but not just a few miles to the south (USA) - especially since
they should be the same machine (same power supply, same video, etc.).

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (02/03/90)

In article <20464@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:

>True...however, it seems strange that they would be available here in
>Canada but not just a few miles to the south (USA) - especially since
>they should be the same machine (same power supply, same video, etc.).

The difference is FCC testing vs CSA testing. Although the EMI standards set
by these regulatory bodies are similar, they are not identical.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) (02/03/90)

  A firend of mine bought an Atari PC clone over a year ago in Toronto.
He says it's a superior clone.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.2aR

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (02/04/90)

In article <20464@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>In article <1153@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:
>>In article <20396@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:
>>:The PC clones never made it to the USA?  I'm almost certain that I've seen
>>:them in a store here in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
>>
>>   That's not the USA.
>>

>True...however, it seems strange that they would be available here in
>Canada but not just a few miles to the south (USA) - especially since
>they should be the same machine (same power supply, same video, etc.).

Ahh, I wish that were the case.  Sigh..  I live just south of
Canada (Rochester, NY) and on a recent excursion to Toronto I
was surprised to see all the Atari support available!!!  I also
got to play with some of Atari's new hardware, like the Stacy.

>Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |

                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   huh?

 Albert Yarusso, Rochester     ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet,ajy2208@ultb.isc.rit.edu
 Institute of Tech. _________________________________________________________
 Computer Science  /___   /    {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
______________________/  /     ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu     GEnie:  A.Yarusso

kawakami@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (02/04/90)

In article <485d8c5b.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>well, once again Atari Corp has shown how much it cares about the
>USA market by releasing its new products overseas first. I really wonder
>just how committed Atari corp is to the USa market anyway??

1.  I didn't know there was a sea between the USA and Canada.
2.  I think Atari ships to other countries first because Atari diddles
    too long figuring out how to market the machines here.  The Atari
    has a serious identity crisis.
2a. I don't think shipping to other countries is such a bad thing, especially
    if the dollar is weak elswhere.

>So, I am happy that the STe isn't Vaporware but it just joins the group of
>other Atari products that have never been sold here in the USA. Like th
>entire line of PC clones, the TT, and now the STe. Geez, when will Atari
>ever learn that the USA is not some hick third world country?

I was always under the impression that most ST/Megas are sold in 1st
world countries like W Germany, Great Britan, Canada, and France.

John Kawakami       kawakami@earthquake.berkeley.edu
                    ucbvax!earthquake.berkeley.edu!kawakami
                    take-a-right-up-the-hill-then-a-left-on-leroy

vanleeuw@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (James Van Leeuwen) (02/06/90)

In article <34112@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> kawakami@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) writes:
>In article <485d8c5b.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>>
>>well, once again Atari Corp has shown how much it cares about the
>>USA market by releasing its new products overseas first. I really wonder
>>just how committed Atari corp is to the USa market anyway??
>
>1.  I didn't know there was a sea between the USA and Canada.
>2.  I think Atari ships to other countries first because Atari diddles
>    too long figuring out how to market the machines here.  The Atari
>    has a serious identity crisis.
>2a. I don't think shipping to other countries is such a bad thing, especially
>    if the dollar is weak elswhere.

Well, here's my two cents worth.  First of all, I have worked for one of the
nation's largest ST dealers for about 9 months now, so I have a little
perspective on the issue.  One of the major reasons that equipment seems to get
overseas faster than it arrives here is a little organization called the
FCC.  Not only is the process for approval slow, it gives any company an
excuse for not releasing products on time.

I agree entirely that shipping overseas is a good idea, but I think that
Atari has taken it a little too far.  In their attempts to expand their
overseas market, Atari has forgotten about the US market completely.
Not only is Atari at fault in this category, many of the third party software
developers are guilty as well.  Ever seen an American version of Turbo
C/Pascal from Borland?

I also don't feel that delays in the introduction of products to the US market
are due to marketing.  Atari does little (read almost nothing) in marketing
in the US.  It relies heavily on the major dealers to sell the product for
them.  This alone causes many problems, particularly when the dealers know as
little about the products as the consumers.  The dealers would probably be
willing to pass on information to consumers if it were only available.

Jim Van Leeuwen                                 vanleeuw@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (02/07/90)

In article <1581@cs.rit.edu> ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (Albert Yarusso) writes:

>Ahh, I wish that were the case.  Sigh..  I live just south of
>Canada (Rochester, NY) and on a recent excursion to Toronto I
>was surprised to see all the Atari support available!!!  I also
>got to play with some of Atari's new hardware, like the Stacy.
>
>>Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
> Albert Yarusso, Rochester     ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet,ajy2208@ultb.isc.rit.edu

This is the first report I've seen of a STacy being offered for retail
sale.  Would you please tell more?  What model (RAM size, was there a hard
disk, power supply, that kind of thing)?  Was any software bundled with it?

                                         Steve J.