[comp.sys.atari.st] TURBO C/MAS problem

rob@raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (01/16/90)

I'm having a problem with the MAS assembler that comes with Turbo C v1.1.  The
thing doesn't assemble, it just hangs the computer.  This happens no matter
whether I start the program from the environment, a shell (gulam) or the
desktop (nov 85 ROMs, US version).  If I give a bogus .s file name, it
complains, and if I use the -V option it does print out its identification as
expected, but nothing further happens[1].  Am I doing something stupid, did I
get a damaged disk, or is this a feature :-)

[1] there is a second disk access in the first and third cases, I presume the
seek for the .s file.

Rob Carriere
rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu
---

rob@raksha.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (01/18/90)

In article <3927@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>  I wrote:
>I'm having a problem with the MAS assembler that comes with Turbo C v1.1.  The
>thing doesn't assemble, it just hangs the computer. [...]
>Am I doing something stupid, did I get a damaged disk, or is this a feature?

As several people pointed out to me via E-mail (thank you very much), this is
a feechur.

Does anyone know if Heimsoeth intends to do anything about it?  I'm not all
that upset, 'cause I have the tools to handle what little assembly work I ever
anticipate doing, but I did _pay_ for the thing...

Some people apparently noticed my US email address and wanted to know how I
got the thing.  Not in the US, I'm afraid.  I was in the Netherlands over the
holidays and used the opportunity to buy the program there.

Other than the interesting concept of assembly it has, I very much like the
package.  ANSI C. _Fast_.  Great work environment.  Good docs.  Truly excelent
help feature.

SR
"Hypertext help.  Just say yes."
---

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/02/90)

In article <2010@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> People who are interested in an English language version of the package
> should definitely contact Borland and let their voices be heard.  As
> I've mentioned in previous posts, this is a fine development system.
> Despite some quirks, it's really fast and generates excellent code.
> It deserves to be seen in English speaking markets, but that won't
> happen unless and until Borland perceives a market for it.
>
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Ken, you seem to really like Turbo C from the Germans. Have you tried
the Version 5 of the Lattice C from the English company Hisoft yet??
I am sure that others here would like to know what you think of the
vers 5 lattice c compiler.

I have asked my local Atari store to try to locate the Lattice C compiler, but
Michtron (who distributes other HiSoft products like WERCS and the C Interpreter)
does not distribute the Lattice C compiler here in the USA. So, my dealer is trying
to locate another source for it. Meanwhile, I wait.

Also, I hear that my dealer has a source for the commerical Flowcharting program
that is available in England. He says that he should be able to get it in a month
or so. I hope that it is as good as some of the flowcharting programs on the Mac, because
that is the only program that is out for the Mac that I can't find for the ST.

So, Ken have you tried the Lattice C vers 5 compiler? What do you think?

Thanks.

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652

h236_014@ccvax.ucd.ie (02/05/90)

In article <2010@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> gilliam@lowlif.dec.com writes:
>
> | Is the documentation in English? Does it have a GEM interface? If so, are
> | the dialogues in English? I was under the impression that an English
> | language version of Turbo C for the ST is not available.
>
> The version I use has German documentation and help files, but English
> text in the menus, dialogs and compiler error messages.  Version 1.1,
> the one currently available from Borland in Germany, comes with a GEM
> based shell which includes the compiler and linker and a decent editor.
> It also includes .TTP versions of the compiler, linker and librarian.
> An assembler and debugger are available seperately.
>
> The online help is eminently useful, even though I don't read German
> very well (about one semester worth of study, many years ago).  The
> reason it is so useful is that it gives you function prototypes and
> associated information in a "hypertext" style format, where you can
> click on highlighted cross references in the help window for further
> information.
>
> People who are interested in an English language version of the package
> should definitely contact Borland and let their voices be heard.  As
> I've mentioned in previous posts, this is a fine development system.
> Despite some quirks, it's really fast and generates excellent code.
> It deserves to be seen in English speaking markets, but that won't
> happen unless and until Borland perceives a market for it.
>
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

    Does anybody know how similar the ST and PC versions of the compiler
are ? The reason I ask is that I have Turbo C v1.5 for the PC and if the
two versions were similar I might be able to make do with the PC manual
for all the UN*X-like stuff and only be forced onto the German manual for
the GEM/ST specific stuff.

   I would naturally prefer an English version on Turbo C but might be
left waiting for a long time.

  Any information would be appreciated,

      Padraig.

rob@kaa.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rob Carriere) (02/07/90)

In article <523.25cd9dcc@ccvax.ucd.ie> h236_014@ccvax.ucd.ie writes:
>    Does anybody know how similar the ST and PC versions of the compiler
>are ? The reason I ask is that I have Turbo C v1.5 for the PC and if the
>two versions were similar I might be able to make do with the PC manual
>for all the UN*X-like stuff and only be forced onto the German manual for
>the GEM/ST specific stuff.

Very.  In fact, for the docs the term translation comes to mind :-) The editor
is wired up rather differently (keybindings/menu structure), but with the same
functionality.  Given that the menus are in English, a TC PC 1.5 manual should
work fine.

SR