[comp.sys.atari.st] In DEFENSE of MAGNAVOX...Where's the Facts???

kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) (02/01/90)

In article <1990Jan30.182032.26630@agate.berkeley.edu>, johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) writes:
> If this is the same monitor which was being sold under the Commodore
> nameplate as the 1084 for a while, it is junk.  Ask any 1084 owner

WHY is it "JUNK"? maybe you could enlighten me(us) on this...
I have had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with mine. (It is a year newer than the
Commodore-1084 model that Magnavox made--but for all intents and purposes,
it's the same monitor...)

> (like me).  Commodore eventually dropped Magnavox as their manufacturer
> and went back to whoever made their original Amiga monitors (Phillips, maybe?).

Maybe you should do your research a little better commode-door owner!

PHILLIPS CORP. IS THE PARENT COMPANY OF MAGNAVOX!!!
Therefore: If you got a Phillips (mostly in U.K.) monitor, you got yerself
           a Magnavox...

I WOULD like it if you would post the "PROBLEMS" you and "OTHERS" had with it
and WHY IT WAS SO "TERRIBLE"...

> John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
> johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
> (...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
> Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308
 | Dan Karbowsky      kar7481@pitt!cuphub /   S U P P O R T  T H E  S T ! ! !  |
 | 102 Lee Drive      ___________________/Call the ATARI ELITE of PITTSBURGH'S |
 | Belle Vernon, PA  / BBS (Forem-ST,fnet node 19)  at (412) 384-5609 at 300   |
 | 15012   U.S.A.   / thru 19.2k baud 24 hrs./day 7-days/week   Mention this   |
 |	           / message at logon.                                         |

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/02/90)

In <3787@cuphub.cup.edu> kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:

Just to avoid any confusion, I'd like to say right off that you're a
dick. Second, advertising ELITE BBSES!!!!!! in your name is generally
regarded as being juvenile, especially if you're posting to the net
and said ELITE BBS!!!!! is a pirate board. Finally, you should really
take care of that Caps Lock problem. Loose wires can often cause
strange artifacts such as those reproduced immediately below.

-> I WOULD like it if you would post the "PROBLEMS" you and "OTHERS"
-> had with it and WHY IT WAS SO "TERRIBLE"...

I've got a 1084, and I don't really hate it 'cause it's not a bad
monitor for video work. However, it's got a few problems like
occasionally screwing up interlaced pictures badly by, well,
de-interlacing them. The result is often an unreadable flickery
screen. You wouldn't see this because your machine only does 320x200
in color (IE on a 1084-like monitor). (Unless your ELITE!!! machine is
actually an 8-bit, in which case it's marginally less.) It can be a
pain, in any case.

Gotten any rad kuel bitchen new warez lately?
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

                 We foolish and happily hold on to sanity.

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (02/08/90)

Didn't know people could get so defensive about their monitors.

In article <3787@cuphub.cup.edu> kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:
>In article <1990Jan30.182032.26630@agate.berkeley.edu>, johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) writes:
>> If this is the same monitor which was being sold under the Commodore
>> nameplate as the 1084 for a while, it is junk.  Ask any 1084 owner
>
>WHY is it "JUNK"? maybe you could enlighten me(us) on this...

There are two main problems that Magnavox/1084 owners have had:

1) It frequently goes blurry in interlace mode.  This may not matter
   to Atari owners, since they don't use interlace mode, but I use it all
   the time and I have to live with this flaw every day.  I've brought
   it to the repair shop, and they can't figure it out.

2) The picture on the monitor snaps every couple of minutes.  This seems
   to be curable.

In addition, there have been several reports in the comp.sys.amiga about
bad solder joints being found inside the monitor, which have caused
intermittent failures.

>I have had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with mine. (It is a year newer than the
>Commodore-1084 model that Magnavox made--but for all intents and purposes,
>it's the same monitor...)

Great.  I don't claim that every single monitor is bad, but they do
seem to have had a pretty big quality control problem there
for a while.  Maybe they've since fixed it.

>Maybe you should do your research a little better commode-door owner!
>
>PHILLIPS CORP. IS THE PARENT COMPANY OF MAGNAVOX!!!

Oh well, I was only guessing.  I thought I'd heard that Philips was
the new manufacturer.  Maybe not.  Even if they are, there is no reason
that a company couldn't have one bad model and another perfectly good one.

Look, I was only trying to warn you of the experiences we Amiga owners
have had with one of the monitors that were being mentioned as possible
replacements for the Atari monitor.  Why did that warrant such a violent
reaction?

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@soc1.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California
(...!ucbvax!soc1.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308