[comp.sys.atari.st] FTP'ing files

S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) (02/07/90)

I am new to the FTP system and was wondering if someone could give me some
help.  All the files I have tried to download have gone bad.  when I try to
unARC them, they give me a 'bad header' error.  Can someone with experience
in this area help me?

                       Thanks,

                              Robert Gambs
                            (S54394GR at ETSUACAD)

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/08/90)

In article <9002070806.AA13282@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) writes:
>I am new to the FTP system and was wondering if someone could give me some
>help.  All the files I have tried to download have gone bad.  when I try to
>unARC them, they give me a 'bad header' error.  Can someone with experience
>in this area help me?
>

>                       Thanks,
>
>                              Robert Gambs
>                            (S54394GR at ETSUACAD)

Make sure you set it to binary mode (usually the command 'binary').  To get
ls to work after you have done this, you must set it back to ascii (with, you
guessed it, 'ascii').  If you still have the problem, try setting it to
telex (I think, something like that).  Usually a '?' will get you a help sheet.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

zmacu06@doc.ic.ac.uk (F S Taylor) (02/09/90)

In article <9002070806.AA13282@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> S54394GR@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Robert Gambs) writes:

>   I am new to the FTP system and was wondering if someone could give me some
>   help.  All the files I have tried to download have gone bad.  when I try to
>   unARC them, they give me a 'bad header' error.  Can someone with experience
>   in this area help me?

Well, when a file is ARCed it turns it from whatever format it was in
into binary format (ie. requiring all 8 bits in a byte). ftp, by
default, transfers ASCII which is only 7 bit data and it will do
conversions on things like 'end of line' characters etc. To stop it
doing all this you need to type:

ftp> binary

at the ftp prompt. This allows any kind of data to get through without
change.

I hope this works for you.

>			  Thanks,

Thats ok,

>				 Robert Gambs
>			       (S54394GR at ETSUACAD)

Frank.

|        Frank Taylor - HADES Group - DoC - Imperial College - London         |
|                       JANET Mail : zmacu06@doc.ic.ac.uk                     |