[comp.sys.atari.st] Zoo

willi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Gary A Williams) (04/07/89)

After reading that very enticing article, I FTPed right over to the ssyx
server and looked for it.  Well, where is it?  This Zoo thing seems (on
paper) to be a much better archive utility than ARC 5.21 so I would love
to get my hands on it and give it a try.  If anyone has it, could they
please do one of the following:
1)uuencode it and send it to me directly
2)send it to 35.1.1.43 (umich arcserver)
3)tell me where to find it myself

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As ever, I am posting this for my friend Chris (who can read this newsgroup,
but isn't allowed to post), so all comments should go to him at
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu.   Thanks.

Enjoy life,
willi

willi@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Gary A Williams) (04/09/89)

I've looked everywhere for this elusive program and I still haven't been
able to find it.  Ideas anyone?

Enjoy life,
willi

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (07/13/89)

I would like to put my voice behind using Zoo over ARC.  I have been
using Zoo/SEZ/Fiz on my Compaq at work and on the Unix system at
school.  (It compiled w/o a hitch on our Sun 3 with SunOS 3.2).  I
also use Zoo on my ST to transfer files to/from the Sun and so far,
I have not seen any problems.

I have been waiting to see a Zoo shell appear on the net for the ST,
because I really like using the ARCshell.  I'm going to check into
getting Sez for my ST, since I would find it very useful.  (BTW: SEZ
is the program for producing Self-Extraction Zoo files and Fiz fixes
corrupted ZOO archives as best as possible -- at least it lets you get
past a corrupted entry).

The biggest plus with Zoo is its preservation of directory structure
and it's fast and just as efficient on storage (if not marginally
better) than ARC.

One point to note.  Many of the PC BBSes seem to be using Phil Katz
ZIP and UNZIP.  Are those making their way to the ST as well?

cheers,
-c
| Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu           |
| Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu           |
| College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet       |
| Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe |

 -=- The Animal-Rights mailing list is now on the air.           -=-
 -=- Send mail to Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu to subscribe. -=-

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/08/90)

What's the story with ZOO?   I cannot find a version of this
program that works on any of the .ZOO files I have.  What is
the size of the version that works?  What I have is ZOO.TTP
37646 bytes and is dated Aug 6 1989.  I think it's real cute
that the ZOO program on panarthea is in ZOO format!

ZOO.TTP intsef says the version is 2.01STg.

Every time I use this ZOO program on archives I get from
panarthea or CIS or GENIE that are .ZOO files, I always
get errors in the ZOO headers and the thing says it can't
extract the files.  Other binaries, such as ARC files
always work OK.  I have tried three version of ZOO and BOOZ.

The latest file I'm working on is the GNUEMACS.ZOO recently
posted to the binaries group.  Has anybody been able to
uudecode this and extract it?  If so, what version of ZOO
did you need?

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "I'll forgive you Dad...  If you have
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| a breath mint."

fortinp@bcars223.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (02/09/90)

In article <1195@bdt.UUCP>, david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

[deleted]
> Every time I use this ZOO program on archives I get from
> panarthea or CIS or GENIE that are .ZOO files, I always
> get errors in the ZOO headers and the thing says it can't
> extract the files.  Other binaries, such as ARC files
> always work OK.  I have tried three version of ZOO and BOOZ.

David,
I don't think ZOO.TTP is the problem;  I experienced the same
thing recently.  The problem was in the files themselves...
If you are ftp'ing, make sure you use BINARY mode; when the
ftp is complete, verify that the size of the file is the
same size as on the server.  ftp will modify the file during
transfer unless you use binary mode.

> --
> David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "I'll forgive you Dad...  If you have
> Beckemeyer Development Tools		| a breath mint."
> P.O. Box 21575, Oakland, CA 94620	|    Bart - "The Simpsons"
> UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax}!unisoft!bdt!david	|

 Pierre Fortin
 fortinp@bnr.ca