[comp.sys.atari.st] Resettable RAM Disk

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/01/90)

In article <908@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, bmaraldo@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:

>	Can someone tell me where I can find a resettable ram disk?
>RDY.PRG from MWC will only allow a partition to 700k.  I would like
>to make a 1.5M partition.  It would be great if the M-Disk utility
>that was posted to binaries was resttable; it doesn't appear to be.
>
>Brett L Maraldo

Coderam, included on the Codehead Utility disk, is the best ramdisk program
I have used (of many).  It is reset-proof (really), and supports many different
sized partitions (from a menu at bootup, will go to a user-default in about
5 seconds).  This program, along with the others on the disk, are well worth
the price.  These guys churn out some of the freshest and most useful code
for the ST's.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (02/02/90)

|Coderam, included on the Codehead Utility disk, is the best ramdisk program
|I have used (of many).  It is reset-proof (really), and supports many different
|sized partitions (from a menu at bootup, will go to a user-default in about
|5 seconds).  This program, along with the others on the disk, are well worth
|the price.  These guys churn out some of the freshest and most useful code
|for the ST's.
|
|         Mickey Boyd

Another recommendation for CODERAM (and the Codehead Utilities). I just
upgraded to the latest version. It not only is resetproof, but it supports
drives A-Z, can overlay with an existing drive, can use the blitter to make it
even faster than a regular RAM disk, can be used as a boot disk... and some
other stuff I can't recall. I don't recall the size limit, but it is in
excess of 1.5 MB.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are those solely of the author,
            who has no pecuniary interest in the companies, products,
            or publications mentioned above.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

stefan@hpbbi4.HP.COM (#Stefan Bachert) (02/02/90)

I use a resetable RamDisk called FLEXDISK. I use
it for development purposes and it survived most crashes.
You could changes the size of this RamDisk via an accessory without
an extra reset. Its a valueable tool to me.

It costs about 70DM ($40-$50). The distributor is

Application Systems
6900 Heidelberg
Germay

In article <908@watserv1.waterloo.edu> bmaraldo@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) writes:
>	Can someone tell me where I can find a resettable ram disk?
>RDY.PRG from MWC will only allow a partition to 700k.  I would like
>to make a 1.5M partition.  It would be great if the M-Disk utility
>that was posted to binaries was resttable; it doesn't appear to be.

RDY from MWC also comes with complete source code. You should look at it
sometime.

Anyways, I'd guess you were only trying to use RDY from the GEM interface.
There's no fixed size limit in the RDY program itself, those are just the
limited choices you get from the dialog. I set it up from the command line;
used 2 meg with no trouble at all. In msh, try:
	rdy CMD=MAKE DISK=M SIZE=1500
or something like that...

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (02/04/90)

I thought MWC *ONLY* works with its ram disk?!
Seemed like I tried the CodeHead one and it didn't work.
But then that profile file is a killer to edit too, well, to me it is!

Ed June

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/06/90)

In article <26558@cup.portal.com> buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:

>I thought MWC *ONLY* works with its ram disk?!
>Seemed like I tried the CodeHead one and it didn't work.
>But then that profile file is a killer to edit too, well, to me it is!

I don't believe there is anything magic about the MWC ram disk.  I have
not used any other since getting MWC (since I like the ability to take
a 'snapshot' of the ramdisk and its contents and save it as an executable
file) but I believe it will work with any ram disk.  (It will also work
without using a ram disk - thinks are just slower.)  You shouldn't even
have to tell profile about it unless you want it to be used automatically
for temporary files.  In that case, you need to set up the environment
variable TMPDIR to whatever you called your ramdisk.  (My ramdisk is
drive 'h:' and contains a single directory 'tmp'.  Hence I set the
variable TMPDIR to 'h:\tmp'.)

I use the ram disk all the time with non-MWC stuff (especially when
downloading, uudecoding, and unarcing stuff from USENET.  By doing
all the intermediate steps in the ramdisk I help avoid fragmenting
the hard drive.).

Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (02/09/90)

>Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
>University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

Thanks for the info on the MWC ramdisk, I'll try again.

Ed June