[comp.sys.atari.st] TeX and DVISLM; PageStream 1.8; LHARC

steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (02/07/90)

To the person asking about output quality from TeX on
the SLM804 Laser:

I've got the distribution of TeX from the Current Notes library, and
while I haven't used it all that much yet, I have printed out the
manual for Uniterm by Simon Poole (a great PD terminal emulator).  The
output quality is excellent.  Even small footnotes (6pt?) are quite
readable and do not suffer from the 'thinness' problem you described.
I suspect you do not have a complete set of fonts for the laser (I had
to generate a couple myself for the manual).

to R. Covert, re: PageStream 1.8:

Kudos for PageStream from our resident critic? :-)
I agree it's a powerful package, but it's still not bug free.  As I
mentioned a while back, it does a pretty poor job of cleaning up after
itself on the screen (even with an apparent 're-draw it all' attitude)
- I'm constantly getting object 'handles' left all over the place.
Also, UNDO does not work for all operations and you don't know what is
not UNDOable till it's too late.  It's getting better though.

Re: LHARC

Has anyone gotten the LHARC source code recently posted to compile
under Mark Williams C?  It seems to need some header files I don't
have - file.h, dir.h.  It compiles fine on our Sun workstations,
but I want a version to use at home.  Can anyone send me the
neccessary changes or point me to an ST executable version?

---
Stephen Goldstein     steveg@saic.com
My first Atari system? A 24K Atari 800, Rev. A ROMS, C(not G)TIA graphics
Disclaimer:  That's not what I said.

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/10/90)

In article <9002071552.AA10408@SAIC.COM>, steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:
> to R. Covert, re: PageStream 1.8:
>
> Kudos for PageStream from our resident critic? :-)
> I agree it's a powerful package, but it's still not bug free.  As I
> mentioned a while back, it does a pretty poor job of cleaning up after
> itself on the screen (even with an apparent 're-draw it all' attitude)
> - I'm constantly getting object 'handles' left all over the place.
> Also, UNDO does not work for all operations and you don't know what is
> not UNDOable till it's too late.  It's getting better though.
> ---
> Stephen Goldstein     steveg@saic.com

Stephen, while I have noticed the same problems in PgS 1.8,I am nonethelss
very pleased with PgS 1.8. For example, I have owned 2 laser printers in the last
2 years, the SLM804, and now the Panasonic KXP4450 Laser Partner. One thing that
I enjoyed doing with my old dot matrix printer was printing out labels for
floppies. I used an old program called "ACTION" (circa 1986!!) with my previous
dot matrix printer. But when I got my first laser printer I couldn't use it
it any longer. Finally, AVERY has come out with a aser printer label for 3.5"
floppies. There are 9 labels for 8.5"x11" page, each label being 2.75" square.

Well, I sat down with PgS 1.8, and in a couple of hours learning made some forms
for the AVERY labels. Andd they printed great!! I was even able to rotate the text 180
degrees to place on the spine and the back of the floppy. I made a bunch of labels
for some pd disks for the PHAST Club withg PgS 1.8.

so, while PgS 1.8 may still have some bugs, it works very well for me,
and I was able to learn to use some of its neat features very quickly.

Calamus, on the other hand, is still sitting on my shelf. I have yet to
understand how to use its text editor, and its icons are very confusing.

So, I like PgS 1.8, and I even wrote a letter to Softlogik congratulating them
on the 1.8 release.

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652