[comp.sys.atari.st] Note to U.S. netters

BALTUCH@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (Jacob Baltuch) (02/10/90)

In

Date: 8 Feb 90 16:01:36 GMT

stan!katmandu!stevem@boulder.colorado.edu  (Stephen Matson) jumps
on AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij)

because the latter allegedly jumped on the collective group of ignorant European
netters, that is to say those European users which are ignorant of network
manners or more specifically of listerver manners and of which there seem
to be just as sufficient a number on this side, thank you very much.

>      I'm the one that got a good laugh at your semi-hostile tone.

Hmm. Doesn't look to me like this one is particularly friendly, does it?

>     This group is one of the worst for intolerance.

No kidding!

Actually although Jan's note is basically common sense and I'd even say
helpful, the tone does get spoiled a bit at the end

>>   If not, a) ask someone who knows about these things and b) ask yourself
>>   if you are really suited to this form of communication. Perhaps it would be
>>   better to learn a little more first?

Observe that the note would have been almost perfect if the AND between (a)
and (b) was replaced by an OR... (a) ask somebody OR (b) ask yourself if etc...
Notice the "subtle" change? ("You can redeem yourself, if only...")
The mysteries of Boolean Algebra and/or (oh no!) logic at work.
(Hey, while I'm at it, how do you apply Metaphysics?... That was how you apply
Boolean Algebra, but Metaphysics?...)

In any case, if I was just starting to get used to networks and stuff and I had
forgotten say how to unsuscribe, I'd think such a note was heaven sent.
I mean, not only does it irritate the whole list and it's embarrassing (very,
I would be anyhow) but it EVEN DOESN'T WORK... Clearly people who do that wish
they didn't... So anyway, I don't think that anyone would have to go into
psychotherapy, or be traumatized for the rest of their life for reading Jan's
note EVEN if they considered themselves part of those who are NOT suited to
electronic communication, not until they learned some more anyway.

>   a) Ask yourself if your really suited to communicating. or b) Perhaps
>    it would be better to learn a little manners first.

Yeah right. You see, the difference is that Jan was teasing or being sarcastic
or whatever, towards an undefined group, an abstraction, into anyone is free to
identify themselves or not, whereas you were firing up his own personal ass.
My, Stephen, I think you were the cranky one that morning,

Jacob