[comp.sys.atari.st] Software/mouse problems

blee@plains.UUCP (Blaine Lee) (02/01/90)

Hi I am having trouble with some PD/sharware programs and my mouse.

TUZZLE	  1988 Armin Daubmann
SQUIXX	  1986 Michael Kolb
DOMINO_2  1987 Mulsoft

All of these will start and run but seem unable to read the joystick.
Yes..., they do run correctly on a friend's older cpu with a with 1.0 TOS.

Uniterm 2.0e from terminator.cc.umich.edu

It does everything that it is supposed to with one extra:  after using
it for a while (especialy moving between many menus/screens/boxes) it
will start leaving small boxes (aprox[###]) arround after moving over
menu selections, and the mouse will disapear.  Am I alone in this??
Other than that a great system.

My last complaint: The *#$@ mouse will swap up for down occasionaly after
swaping disks (in the short time that the pointer disappears while
redrawing a window) I can see no pattern nor is it easy to repeat
(it will revert to correct _sometimes_).  Is there a patch?

My system:
1040 STf (the standard U.S. ST) 1.2 TOS, bought Dec. 89
1 meg, 1 drive, mono, no DA's or ACC's

What can be done?  are there patches, new versions, or anything else??
how about loading TOS 1.0 into ram(how do I do this(please gime me source
not a discription))?

please email me...I'll repost summary.
thanks.

Blaine Lee			Hey Dude! Lets parity!!!
blee @ plains.nodak.edu

bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) (02/07/90)

In article <3284@plains.UUCP> blee@plains.UUCP (Blaine Lee) writes:

>My last complaint: The *#$@ mouse will swap up for down occasionaly after
>swaping disks (in the short time that the pointer disappears while
>redrawing a window) I can see no pattern nor is it easy to repeat
>(it will revert to correct _sometimes_).  Is there a patch?

This sounds suspiciously like the behaviour of one of the ST viruses
that George Woodside has catalogued.  As far as I can recall, it's
harmless enough, with the exception of the curious mouse behaviour you
mention (no flames, please; I know that no virus is _truly_ harmless.)
Fetch VKILLER from the panarthea archives and check your disks if you
haven't already done so.
  BBB

--
--------
Bob Bright <bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) (02/09/90)

  I heard a rumour that the Word Perfect disks for the ST in August 1989
contained a virus. I know I have had some problems with WP, while a
friend describes his as "rock solid." He tells me that a later version
of VKILLER (I believe 2.2) is necessary to identify and remove this
virus.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

derek.linfield@canremote.uucp (DEREK LINFIELD) (02/10/90)

What kind of problems are you talking about. I've been having a lot of
problems with my HD since installing Word Perfect (crosslinked files,
Duplicate directories, etc.)
---
 ~ Via ProDoor 3.2aR
 ~ QNet 2.03: The Crystal Palace * NorthAmeriNet * Toronto (416) 925-5742 *