[comp.sys.atari.st] Software Piracy In Atari Clubs

steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) (02/07/90)

	>From: brunix!rjd@uunet.uu.net  (Rob Demillo)
	>Subject: ST S/ware Rental Places
[writes about organized piracy by Atari 'User Groups']

If you're ever in the Washington D.C. area, stop in on a NOVATARI
meeting - 2nd Sunday of the month, in Springfield VA.  You should be
pleasantly surprised.  We exchange useful information, present demos,
and sell PD/shareware disks.  The only commercial s/w exchanged is
sales of used packages w/original disks.

We're a user's group, not a pirate's club.  If you know of so called
user's groups that are only fronts for pirates, I suggest you report
them to Atari or any interested software houses and have them shut down.
They give all user's groups a bad name.

---
Stephen Goldstein     steveg@saic.com
My first Atari system? A 24K Atari 800, Rev. A ROMS, C(not G)TIA graphics
Disclaimer:  That's not what I said.

rjd@cs.brown.edu (Rob Demillo) (02/09/90)

In article <9002071529.AA10375@SAIC.COM> steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:

>	>From: brunix!rjd@uunet.uu.net  (Rob Demillo)
>	>Subject: ST S/ware Rental Places
>[writes about organized piracy by Atari 'User Groups']
>
>If you're ever in the Washington D.C. area, stop in on a NOVATARI
>meeting - 2nd Sunday of the month, in Springfield VA.  You should be
>pleasantly surprised.

I am pleasantly surprised already...you are the third response I
read regarding other's users group. I'm glad to hear that the situation
is reversed in your communities.

As to the user group meetings I went to that had massive piracy: I did
file a complaint with the FBI. They had me fill out a couple of forms,
and that was the last I heard.

 - Rob DeMillo			| Internet: rjd@brown.cs.edu
   Brown University 		| BITnet: DEMILLO%BRNPSG.SPAN@STAR.STANFORD.EDU
   Planetary Science Group	| Reality: 401-273-0804 (home)
"I say you *are* the Messiah, Lord! And I ought to know, I've followed a few!"

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (02/09/90)

In article <9002071529.AA10375@SAIC.COM>, steveg@SAIC.COM (Stephen Harold Goldstein) writes:

> We're a user's group, not a pirate's club.  If you know of so called
> user's groups that are only fronts for pirates, I suggest you report
> them to Atari or any interested software houses and have them shut down.
> They give all user's groups a bad name.
>
> ---
> Stephen Goldstein     steveg@saic.com

The Phoenix Atari ST club is dedicated to helping our members use legitimately
purchased software. We, too, do not allow pirating of software. Our PHASST sponsored
bbs has a 40 meg drive with ONLY PD software. We do not allow piracy.

Our Agenda for Staurday's meeting includes:

15 minutes for PHAST Club business
Dave Thorenson gives a demo of a GEM Desktop replacement program
that he is writing. A first for the NAtion!! First time his program
has been demoed!!
Dave Thorenson gives a demo of his favorite game PowerDrome
15 minute break
15 minute Question & Answer period
Demo of Pratical Solution's Video Key for our 1040ST. Pratical Solutions
has an offer out where ST Clubs can get free Pratical Solutions products
if they are demoed for the club, and reviewed in the club newsletter.
Another demo, time allowing, of a game.

So, we don't have time for people to sit and pirate software.
All, in all, I think that it is a good agenda.

Rich Covert, President PHAST
--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (02/11/90)

To all,

   P3ACE (Colorado Springs CO) isn't a pirate club either.

				Dave Ritchie