[comp.sys.atari.st] GCR-Mac240 query

menton%v5130c.decnet@CCF3.NRL.NAVY.MIL ("V5130C::MENTON") (02/08/90)

      Is anyone using the terminal program "Mac240" under David Small's Spectre
GCR Mac emulator?  The keypad functions do not seem to work, other than echoing
similar keys on the main keyboard.  I tried invoking the 'Mac Plus' mode in
Spectre, but no change.  Using Mac240 to log onto a VAX, it's very inconvenient
to do EDT keypad editing by using pull-down menus; direct use of the keypad
keys would be much better.  By the way, EDT keypad editing IS supported in
Mac240 when run on a Mac II (and other Macs with keypads, I would guess).

      					- Bob Menton KG3J
      				ARPAnet: MENTON%V5120.DECNET@CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (02/11/90)

In article <9002080807.AA11869@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> menton%v5130c.decnet@CCF3.NRL.NAVY.MIL ("V5130C::MENTON") writes:

>      Is anyone using the terminal program "Mac240" under David Small's Spectre
>GCR Mac emulator?  The keypad functions do not seem to work, other than echoing
>similar keys on the main keyboard.  I tried invoking the 'Mac Plus' mode in
>Spectre, but no change.

On pages 55-56 of the Spectre GCR manual David Small points out that the keypad
keys do not generate an "extended MAC keypad 0-9", but are mapped to send the
codes for the typewriter keys.  For MAC software that cares, it doesn't see
the ST keypad as a MAC keypad.

In short, for now, you're out of luck unless you can use the terminal pgm to
custom-build your own macros.

The reason I say "for now" is NOT based on anything other than the following
quote from the same manual, top of page 56:

"Apparently some Mac software cares, so I'll probably update this soon."

Since David Small participates here, perhaps this will be in one of your next
(post-2.5??) updates.  If so, I would also like to see the right mouse button
CONFIGURABLE, so that I could finally generate a Mac "escape key" and be able
to get some full use out of MicroEmacs under Spectre...

I'm extremely satisfied with the product as is, without any changes.  But he
just keeps on making the best even BETTER.  Thanks, David.

...walt...

Walt Weber               Hewlett Packard NARC @ Apollo Systems Division
-The views expressed herein are personal, and not binding on ANYONE-
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw