[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drive Problem

brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (02/11/90)

I've got a problem I hope someone can help me with.  I've just recently
upgraded my HD, and now I'm having some problems.

My old hard drive is a pre-production SH-204. It contains an NEC 20 meg
mechanism, an Adaptatec 4000A controller, and an Atari host adaptor,
along with the power supply.

I purchased a Priam V185 mechanism to replace the NEC to bring the system
up to 62 megs.  I also bought a new power supply, since the Atari one is
not enough to spin the Priam.

I removed the NEC mechanism, and connected the Priam. Big cable to big
connector between the drive and the Adaptatec, and little cable on the
drive to the first little connector on the Adaptatec, J0.  I think they
were in the right direction, although Atari does not use the block&slot
method of polarizing cables (I wonder why?). I didn't adjust anything
on any of the boards.

I then booted the system with HDX 3.01 to format the drive. HDX reported
that the "Selected drive is not responding. Check cables or inser a disk."
I tried this a couple of times, and it just didn't work.

Next, I tried formatting with the 8/12/87 version of ICD's utilities, from
before they only worked with ICD host adaptors.  It also would not work,
saying something like "Sense code: 0".

On a whim, I decided to power everything down and switch the little cable
from the drive to the other connector on the Adaptatec, J1.  I then tried
again to format using HDX. It still didn't work. I tried ICDFMT again.
No luck. So, I tried changing the LUN setting in ICDFMT from 0 to 1. This
time, it formatted. It also verified all the sectors and said that
everything was OK.  I tried reformatting it just to make sure. ICDFMT
recognized that the drive was already formatted by giving a "Warning:
do you really want to erase all the data" type message.

When I exited ICDFMT and tried to install the drives to access them, it
(TOS) said that they did not exist. I tried rebooting and installing
the drives, and it still didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? I'd prefer to get it
to work with HDX, since Atari still supports it, and I need partitions
bigger than 16 megs. Help Please!!

					-Tim Onders
					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu
					70135.563@CompuServe.COM
					(518) 276 - 7186

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/12/90)

In article <QZ7$-+@rpi.edu>, brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) writes:
> I've got a problem I hope someone can help me with.  I've just recently
> upgraded my HD, and now I'm having some problems.
>
> My old hard drive is a pre-production SH-204. It contains an NEC 20 meg
> mechanism, an Adaptatec 4000A controller, and an Atari host adaptor,
> along with the power supply.
>
> I purchased a Priam V185 mechanism to replace the NEC to bring the system
> I then booted the system with HDX 3.01 to format the drive. HDX reported

> that the "Selected drive is not responding. Check cables or inser a disk."
> I tried this a couple of times, and it just didn't work.
>
> On a whim, I decided to power everything down and switch the little cable
> from the drive to the other connector on the Adaptatec, J1.  I then tried
> No luck. So, I tried changing the LUN setting in ICDFMT from 0 to 1. This
> time, it formatted. It also verified all the sectors and said that

1. re LUN 0 -- you may have miss alligned the plug by 1 pin.
2. re LUN 1 -- The disk drivers ( ICD, SUPRA, BMS)  will stop looking
   at a SCSI device if LUN 0 is not ready.  They will then never test LUN 1.
   -- I rewrote mine to test LUN 1 also.

-- Of course, Atari, NEVER test LUN 1!

Your initial problem is typical of the problems with expanding/changing
a disk interface.  The drive is connected by 2 cables each of which may be
upside down, and the LUN (small) cable can be plugged in 2 places.  Lots
of ways to do it wrong; only one way to do it right.  The good news is that
the wrong ways (listed above) do not seem to damage anything.

Now that you know it works, try going back to LUN0.  It'll probably work great.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
=====NEW address====
att!lzsc!hcj