[comp.sys.atari.st] How to make newsletter available

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (02/06/90)

Okay, those who know more about the 'net and UUCP and FTP than I.
(This should narrow the field by approximately 1%).

	 We're putting the finishing touches on the next Gadgets
newsletter, and I'd like to make it available online here in some
fashion. It's way too long to just post, unless I broke it into
32K pieces (I believe 32K is the UUCP limit; I've run into it
elsewhere moving files Well <-> Gadgets machine), and look, by far
not everyone here has a Spectre unit nor cares, *and*, it goes
against my grain to more-or-less advertise this way.

	Still, I'd like some easy way for net users to be able to
download the newsletter from somewhere.

	FTP: I know nothing about FTP. I have no man page for FTP,
no FTP on either my 7300 or the more generic UNIX machine. If someone
is willing to act as an FTP site for the newsletter, and for Doug
Wheeler's much improved GCR disk tester, for downloading, I'd be happy
to send them along, however is needed. Email me here
(dsmall@well.sf.ca.us) if interested.

	UUCP: I suppose I could set up my 7300 for UUCP'ing the stuff
across; that'd mean a call for you.

	EMAIL: I could probably break the newsletter into <32K segments
and email it upon requests, but this would get old pretty fast, as
you can imagine. Also, I've had bad luck with email bouncing back to me.
I'd really prefer not to do this unless there's no other way.

	So, if you would, please educate me on how I can make this available
to you with minimum hassles to us both, and without having to publicly post
it; same goes for Doug's GCR Tester program.

	Finally, Doug has also written a truly excellent pageprinter program
for the SLM-804. It outputs your text in form suitable for 8 1/2 x 11 3-ring
binding, double sided, with easy directions to do the double siding. The
result is 4 pages of text reduced on to 1 physical page doublesided, set up
to easily "flip", so facing pages keep continuity. It's currently shareware
on GEnie and is just excellent; if nothing else, it saves a heck of a lot
of paper. Check it out -- it's really nice.

	It's no problem for me to post the newsletter to CIS or GEnie; I know
enough to fumble by there (and fumble I do). Here, I don't have the knowledge
to make a good fumble of it even.

	If you could email instead of replying here, it'd waste less bandwidth..

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets by Small

p.s. Would anyone care for a *brief* 2.5 features list as a post? Would that
be an acceptable compromise?

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/07/90)

In article <15994@well.UUCP>, dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:

>Okay, those who know more about the 'net and UUCP and FTP than I.
>(This should narrow the field by approximately 1%).
>
>	 We're putting the finishing touches on the next Gadgets
>newsletter, and I'd like to make it available online here in some
>fashion. It's way too long to just post, unless I broke it into
>32K pieces (I believe 32K is the UUCP limit; I've run into it
>elsewhere moving files Well <-> Gadgets machine), and look, by far
>not everyone here has a Spectre unit nor cares, *and*, it goes
>against my grain to more-or-less advertise this way.

I would love to be able to read the Gadgets newsletter from the net.  Possible
solution might be to upload it to comp.binaries.atari.st as a UUE'd ARC file.
Or for that matter, Panarthea or Terminator would be great too.  If you
want a real novice's view/instructions on FTP, I would be happy to type
something up, and mail it to you with a list of FTP sites.  Reply to the
address at the top.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/12/90)

In article <9002061853.AA12589@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>In article <15994@well.UUCP>, dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:
>>
>> ..., and I'd like to make [the newsletter] available online here in some
>>fashion. ...

>I would love to be able to read the Gadgets newsletter from the net.  Possible
>solution might be to upload it to comp.binaries.atari.st as a UUE'd ARC file.
>Or for that matter, Panarthea or Terminator would be great too.

I would like to read this newsletter too.  Dave has a nice, easy style of
writing, sometimes chatty, that is fun to read.   But clearly, it does not
fit the classification of the existing atari news groups.

The best solution is to make it available on servers such as "panarthea"
and "terminator".  Terminator has the advantage that a relatively small but
growing number of folks may access it via ftp.  Panarthea has the advantage
that folks on every network that carries these articles can reach it by mail,
if they know the gateways and bridges between networks.

Maybe "well" could set up the software to handle a file server by mail?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that S.Grimm got his software (or
at least the original command set) from Martin Wiedmeyer in "lakesys"
and he may be willing to supply his stuff to others who want to start a
file server by mail.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET