[comp.sys.atari.st] Supra 20 Meg Drive

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) (02/11/90)

I heard somewhere (mistakenly or otherwise) that it was possible to
format a Supra 20 Meg Hard Drive to 30 Meg?  I could sure use the extra
space if it works, and would appreciate any comments from others who
have tried it.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.2aR

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (02/13/90)

In article <90021021121171@masnet.uucp> calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) writes:
>I heard somewhere (mistakenly or otherwise) that it was possible to
>format a Supra 20 Meg Hard Drive to 30 Meg?  I could sure use the extra
>space if it works, and would appreciate any comments from others who
>have tried it.
>---
> * Via ProDoor 3.2aR

You can, sort of.  What it sounds like "they" are talking about is taking an
MFM drive and formatting it RLL (or, in layman's terms, squeezing more data into
the same space).  This would require you to get an RLL interface? to replace
the MFM one, making sure that the drive in question will work with the RLL
board.

Even if you get it to work, I wouldn't trust it.  The drive was only certified
for 20 megabytes of capacity; going 30 would probably give you lots of grief
when your data just started going bad.

Easiest way to get more space is to get more hard drive. :-)

Mike