[comp.sys.atari.st] INFO-ATARI16 Digest V90 #

david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) (02/11/90)

  Most ST magazines advertise mouses for the ST. I've only seen a
couple, so your selection is not great. There is a cordless mouse for
the ST and the Amiga.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/13/90)

In article <90021118332736@masnet.uucp>, david.schreiber@canremote.uucp (DAVID SCHREIBER) writes:

>  Most ST magazines advertise mouses for the ST. I've only seen a
>couple, so your selection is not great. There is a cordless mouse for
>the ST and the Amiga.
>---
> * Via ProDoor 3.1R

I have decided to replace my ST mouse with a Microsoft Mouse (have to do a
little soldering, very simple mod).  I have seen so many reports of ST mice
dying that I have given this matter thought.  However, some interesting
questions come to mind.

     1.  To my knowledge, there are three types of ST mice around.  The
         very first ones were marked as being from Germany.  The next
         batch is made in Taiwan (I think), and has a sliding mouse-ball
         door, and plain metal rollers which get all gummy with heavy use.
         The new ones have a rotating ball door, and have white plastic
         covers on the metal rods, and do not seem to collect nearly as
         much gunk.  Are there any more types?

     2.  I happen to own one of the new ones (fat plastic roller covers).  It
         has laughed at my attempts to wear it out.  It doesn't make any of
         the weird noises that I hear from the older types (after some use).
         Are my Microsoft plans unfounded?  Has Atari actually produced a
         long lasting mouse?  Mine seems to feel smoother than the older types,
         buttons feel the same.

Enquiring minds want to know!!

              Mickey Boyd            |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
         FSU Computer Science        |      Even I have trouble doing it."
      mail:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu   |              - Tallulah Bankhead