[comp.sys.atari.st] Developer's Documentation

jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester) (02/12/90)

I'm posting this here rather than mailing kbad@atari because I want to
see if anybody else got the same response I did...

I just got  my response from Gail Johnson regarding my request for the
documentation only version of the developer's package (in only a week too!
nice going Gail & co. :-)  She wrote a little note at the bottom of the
first page that said...

"The only documentation from my dept. is sold as part of the developer's
kit.  Mr. Badertscher was in error - unless this was an old message"

What's up?  Is there or is there not going to be a package consisting of only
the documentation?  If there is, will I have to be a professional developer
or can a PD/Shareware author get these materials?  I don't run a software
company, nor do I have a business plan - I just enjoy programming my ST.

Shoot, even if the documentation is not available separately, I might
consider paying the $250 for the package if someone who knows can address
my concerns above.

Jack Forester, Jr.
West Virginia University
Department of Computer Science and Other Imaginary Things
That's 'jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu' to you!!

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (02/13/90)

In article <703@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> jlf@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jack L Forester) writes:

>What's up?  Is there or is there not going to be a package consisting of only
>the documentation?  If there is, will I have to be a professional developer
>or can a PD/Shareware author get these materials?  I don't run a software
>company, nor do I have a business plan - I just enjoy programming my ST.

I can't even guess what Atari policy might be, but I'm a registered developer
who's only done PD and shareware on the ST (but I have such wonderful plans...)
Nobody seems to object.  There is a difference between the amount ANY company
is going to go out of its way for someone who has just joined a program and
someone who is selling an accessory (like a popular program) that creates a lot
of new business, but in general Atari gives excellent support when it comes to
specific questions or technical issues.  Most of the complaints I've seen or
heard from developers have been either about inconsistent business/strategic
cooperation (like David Small's recent problem getting a TT) or about lack of
general help in certain areas (like the difficulty of browsing the documents).
Unless Atari policy changes, I recommend developer registration as one of the
best deals in personal computing.
                                       Steve J.